FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer on older Mac Pro

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody Arnott
Media Composer on older Mac Pro
on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:18:25 am

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice! Hopefully I've put this in the right place.

I have a 2009 4,1 Mac Pro (2.26GHz 8-core) with an Nvidia GT120, running OS X 10.8.5.

I use Media Composer 7.0, and it seems to run significantly slower (especially rendering) than my new Macbook Pro.

I'm wondering what needs to be upgraded more, the CPU or the GPU? Is a better video card going to help with rendering and general performance? Or is the clock speed of my CPU just too low?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Media Composer on older Mac Pro
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:01:35 am

HI
Im not really up to speed on the tech issues with macs, but how much ram do you have (always more is best) and are you running the os and pt on the Mac hd and keeping all media files on other non OS drives.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:10:36 am

10.8.5 is not qualified for any versions of Avid. While plenty of people work outside of the qualified versions, it's best practice to use all qualified versions. Check the compatibility matrix to make sure you're working on qualified versions.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en267087

That said, a 4,1 Mac Pro isn't terribly old and should still be pretty fast. Like Peter said, how much RAM do you have? I would hope at minimum 8GB. How full are your drives? If they are more than 80% full, you'll notice performance hits like that.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Jody Arnott
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:13:52 am

Thanks for the info guys.

I have 16GB of RAM. And my media drive is an external RAID 0 connected via USB 3.0.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:16:37 am

Ok so if your mac isnt too old / slow
youve plenty ram
your hard drives are external

What type of media are you running? Is it all imported or transcoded to avids mxf folder structure or are you ama linking?

Does it behave the same way on a variety of media types?

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jody Arnott
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:20:06 am

Sometimes I transcode, other times I use AMA, it depends on the media I have. But with either method, rendering is very slow and Avid struggles to play back even basic effects in real time.

My drives are only about half full, and yes I have a USB 3.0 card.

Basically I'm wanting to figure out if it's going to be more beneficial upgrading the CPU or getting a better video card.

Does Avid take advantage of the GPU?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:18:10 pm

[Jody Arnott] "Basically I'm wanting to figure out if it's going to be more beneficial upgrading the CPU"

You can't. You cannot upgrade the processors on Macs, ANY Macs.

This all being said, I have a 2008 3.0 Ghz MacPro and it's plenty fast with Avid Symphony 6.5.4. I do have a decent graphics card, and that might help. But I also don't run any media off USB, even USB 3 with a card. I'm wondering if that's the issue. Can you put it on a Firewire 800 drive and see if it clears up?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jody Arnott
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:28:09 pm

Shane, yes you can upgrade the CPU on the Mac Pros. Plenty of tutorials online, countless people have done it.
http://tinyurl.com/lupbfq4

Michael, I get around 80MB/s read and write on my media drive. And on my system drive I get 150MB/s write, 250MB/s read (SSD).

Cheers :)

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:18:28 am

How full are the drives and do you have a USB 3.0 PCI-E card? If the answer is no, I'm going to say, that's your problem right there. The onboard USB ports on the Mac Pro are USB 2.0 and those will be a huge bottle for rendering.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:17:59 pm

Use a disk speed test app to see what the actual data rates are for read and write on the media drives. Then work from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]