FORUMS: list search recent posts

export a AAF with copyed media and baked in effects for color

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
export a AAF with copyed media and baked in effects for color
on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:32:18 pm

I have a Avid project which has footage shot in 720 60p. We created a 60p project and consolidated/transcoded our clips into our Media Drive. From there we created a new Avid project set to 720 30p. We opened the bins from the ingest project and copied the master clips into new corresponding bins.

This preserved the 60p frame rate and Avid just added a motion adaptor each clip in a timeline to have the master clips play at 30p. If we removed the adaptor the clips would play back half speed slow mo. This was the desired effect. We have finished our edit (Which contains lots of speed ramps and other effects) I want to send this out for color correction, but I would ideally like to export the AAF in such as way as to bake in all of the effects. So the color correct software can just reference these clips instead of trying to interpret and create all to effects from avid in its software. Does that make sense.

I thought I could just go to my export settings and select AAF select Consolidate, check render video effects and transcode video to, and set my destination to a new media drive.

When I try this every time and on all my edit machines I get the error Exception: Preparation for export failed.

If I uncheck the render video effect and transcode video to, my aaf export works but of course I don't get the effect in the sequence baked in.

Any thoughts or help is their a different way i can go about to get the same desired result of a aaf export?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: export a AAF with copyed media and baked in effects for color
on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:30:57 am

You may want to doing a mixdown and correcting that if that is the case. Downside is you are locked to that cut for color correction as there will be no handles.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:05:15 pm

How exactly would I do this kind of a mixdown. If I just do a video mixdown then everything gets flatten into one file. I don't mind being locked into my cut as it will not be changed at this point.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:26:09 pm

With sequence in timeline, go to the Special menu and select "video mixdown. You can use Resolve's scene detection to add edits back in.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 16, 2013 at 5:24:21 pm

You can do a video mixdown of the sequence then use this technique in avid to add cuts back in.

http://www.evanschiff.com/bd/articles/add-virtual-cuts-to-a-clip-based-on-t...

However, as Michael stated, you could just do that in Resolve, as it has excellent scene detection for this purpose.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:29:07 pm

So what I ended up doing is I made a new dummy sequence which I copied the segment with the effect from my original timeline into the new sequence did a video mix, which created a new clip and new MXF media, and then edited that mixdown back into my original sequence. Rinse and repeat for all my clips I needed to make sure had baked in effects.

I know that resolve has a decent scene detections but I guess I just didn't want to chance anything. plus this way there is still a small ability to reposition some of my edits.

Not ideal but it worked. Thank you all for the help.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]