FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for scanning photos HD, Theatrical Doc

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Addison Mehr
Workflow for scanning photos HD, Theatrical Doc
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55:12 pm

We are scanning photos for a documentary that will eventually have a theatrical release.
What is a safe resolution to scan these photos so that it holds up in a 2K or 4K screening environment.

Thank you!

Addison

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Workflow for scanning photos HD, Theatrical Doc
on Nov 9, 2013 at 1:06:56 am

Here's some info - just use the info to scale up to your 2K screening (ar you really finishing as 4K?)> But you may want to scan even higher if you plan on panning and zooming within the frame as part of the editorial/storytelling process.

http://www.scantips.com/basics1c.html

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Workflow for scanning photos HD, Theatrical Doc
on Nov 10, 2013 at 10:29:42 pm

Addison; As Michael Phillips says, all the available resolution will help, it seems to me, especially if Pan and Zoom is contemplated.

Most available scanners are limited in resolution, unless one goes to a virtual drum scan using a Hasselblad Flex-Tight, at about 8,000 dpi. At $25,000 each, there aren't many around, but Pro Film Archiving in Walnut Creek, CA (925-280-1010 profilmarchiving.com) does this work. I believe it will handle 35mm up to 8" x 10" prints or negatives.

I have happily used Avid FX for importing stills as there is a little more control over P&Z; then adding slight sharpening, say, 4-30-4 in unsharp mark. And as you know, the FX monitor window pane allows zooming so one can easily see changes down to the pixel level.

Best,
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]