FORUMS: list search recent posts

To MAC...or not to MAC...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jefe Warren
To MAC...or not to MAC...
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:34:59 am

Greetings-

I was hoping to gather some opinions on acquiring a laptop for an AVID system -- older mountain lion 15" retina or hp Zbook 17? (Or perhaps you have another suggestion?)

Here's my workflow for 30min shows: Shoot entirely on RED. DP will export dnx115 files via Red Rocket card. Edit. Export AAF to Resolve (on a MacPro). No return trip - just export a Quicktime for output and place graphics on top. Output to HDcam.

I need the laptop because the producer will be doing stringouts on it. Obviously it need not do much heavy lifting, though I would like to have a full screen output (flat panel is fine).

Thank you so much for your suggestions and opinions!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: To MAC...or not to MAC...
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:24:27 pm

the computer choice is up to you. What are you more comfortable with? but if you want external video output your best option is to get Thunderbolt video I/O. And for that only the Apple laptops have thunderbolt. Options from AJA and Decklink work with Avid MC

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jefe Warren
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:30:51 pm

Shane-
Thanks for your input. That's a great point about the Thunderbolt I/O!!
I'm a mac guy at heart...ever since the apple II days... 8-)
Much appreciated,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Womble
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:35:26 pm

Shane and Jefe,

I agree that the choice should be based on the laptop and platform on which you feel most comfortable working. At the end of the day, they are just tools, and the one you are most productive on is likely the best choice.

It would be good to note that TB on PC laptops is coming. Here is a laptop workstation I am interested in trying:

http://www.dell.com/speedoflight#sthash.xRweDu2T.dpuf

Regards,

Joe Womble

Return to posts index

Jefe Warren
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:42:30 pm

Thanks so much, Joe. Will you be purchasing it on the 14th? Please do keep us posted!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Womble
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:52:34 pm

Probably not on the 14th, but maybe before the end of the year. I'd love to see a head-to-head comparison of speed, etc. with the new MacBook Pros.

Thanks,
Joe

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:56:25 pm

Actually the new HP Z laptop series (Z 17 and Z 15) were equipped with thunderbolt - supposedly beginning in october. Haven't seen one yet, but i believe that model has been released.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]