FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi cam on a sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Donaldson
multi cam on a sequence
on Nov 7, 2013 at 1:56:27 am

Hi - I have a large project with multiple cameras running. The cameras however were cutting and reloading (at different times to each other) during shooting. I have synced up each camera to the audio so on each sequence I have up to 6 video tracks with clips coming in and out at various points.

What I would like to do is find a way of editing this footage using multicam mode. I can't subclip as each camera comes in and out at different times so whichever cut off point I choose I would lose some footage from some cameras. I know I could video mixdown each video track but that would make onlining a nightmare. I have tried collapse per track but then I can't group clips for the multicam.

If any genius out there can think of workflow I'd be grateful! thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: multi cam on a sequence
on Nov 7, 2013 at 2:34:09 am

I've created a dummy clip that encompasses all the clips I want in the group based on timecode. Then I group them all together. That may work for you.

Michael

Return to posts index

Lucy Donaldson
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:35:36 pm

Thanks Michael, could you explain step by step how you create a dummy clip and if I can then group them to edit in multicam mode?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 8, 2013 at 1:46:45 pm

Assuming there is common time of day for the group to sync to, let's say the first clip in your group starts at 12:00:00:00 and the last clip end at 15:00:00:00. You would then go Capture mode and click LOG and create a clip that starts at 11:59:59:00 and ends and 15:00:01:00. Just include this clip as part of the Grouping process with the other clips. Check the user guide on how to log clips. You can also make a dummy ALE file with one event in it with the START and END timecodes spanning the clips you want in that group.

Michael

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:18:39 am

I am assuming that you do not have matching timecode.

Here you are running into the limitations of Avids multicam implementation.

Your options are, I believe:

a. Do mix downs (or QT ref exports and reimport)

b. Amend aux timecode for each clip so that they correlate to shoot time of day - then you can multi-group by timecode

c. At each edit point in your assembly sequence - Match frame to every clip in the stack and then group those clips by in point. Name the group appropriately (eg the mark in point for cam1 ) and edit onto new video layer up to the next edit point. (Good idea to also add audio)

Subsequence that top video track and corresponding audios and you have a multicam grouped assembly to edit from.

C is best/easiest option but I wish Avid would automate it. Doing it more and more as I get spanned clips on multiple cameras. And encourage shooters to use time of day - now that tape is dead we don't care about preroll.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:15:56 am

This is a very common scenario in the reality TV world and is close to what Trevor's option C but involves add edits and sub clipping.

Stacking and grouping, as it's commonly referred to, is a multi-step process so instead of trying to layout all here I'll like to a blog that gives step by step instructions.

http://viewfromthecuttingroomfloor.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/multigroups/

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:26:45 pm

This is where i wish avid would implement some sort of Muitcam cam mode that allows us to group sequences together as angles. That would be ideal.

Doesn't FCPX and Premiere CC have something like that now?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Lucy Donaldson
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:47:46 pm

thanks for the thoughts - indeed I do not have matching timecode, in fact all my clips start from 00.00.00.00 and there are in some sequences about 40 clips so although c) definitely makes sense it would still be headachesome. Anyway thanks!

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 9, 2013 at 10:54:54 am

If you use plural eyes you can do it. Youtube Vince Rocca. He has a great video on how to do this. Afterwards you will decide that you never want to use Avid for dlsr multi cam unless its for reality show with a budget for AE's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]