FORUMS: list search recent posts

ISIS shared storage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Merchant
ISIS shared storage
on Nov 6, 2013 at 1:51:21 am

Can anyone clarify:

Is Avid ISIS shared storage only accessible by avid systems, or can other graphics workstations (Mac, PC, Linux) access them as well?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ISIS shared storage
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:39:16 am

Any system can access an ISIS. The drives mount and can be used by anyone.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Merchant
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:43:18 pm

Is there any benefit to ISIS over say, terrablock?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:08:22 pm

For use on non-Avid systems? No, not really. Well, I am not an IT guy, or Assistant in charge of managing ISIS systems, so I cannot say what advantages one has over the other. I'm a user of them. I've been on Avid systems on ISIS and Terrablock, and ISIS is easier for Avid to deal with. And I have been on ISIS and Terrablock on non-Avid systems, and haven't noticed any difference on my end.

There might be under the hood stuff that sets one apart from the other, but since I don't manage servers, I can't say what.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Merchant
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:24:22 pm

great answer, thanks Shane.

Return to posts index

John Veron
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:27:25 am

You MUST have the ISIS client connection software in order to access the ISIS.
Unless you purchase a special computer form AVID that shares out the ISIS to other computers.
This is because ISIS uses its own protocol to the storage and not SMB, NFS or CIFS.

This again means that you can not simply access the ISIS 5000 with Linux for example, as there is no Linux client software. That's at least based on my 2 years old knowledge.

Both Facilis and ISIS offer Bin Locking, so there is no difference in a project sharing workflow.

However, ISIS 5000 is qualified and tested by Avid. The user interface to maintain the storage is fantastic. It is absolutely rock-solid.

Check Youtibe for some ISIS "How To" videos. I am sure you will find more information there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]