FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youtube thumbnail problem! Videos from Avid.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Pepperrell
Youtube thumbnail problem! Videos from Avid.
on Oct 31, 2013 at 5:17:29 pm

Major problem! So the problem is that I have a load of videos which when uploaded to youtube work fine, but the thumbnails are dis-coloured and this is a major problem for my boss!

See images below for evidence. The strange thing is that it plays fine, and when uploading them I check the thumnails and they seem fine at the time but then change to this discoloured-ness. It's not a case of waiting because ive got videos two months ago doing the same.

It looks like the gain has been hiked up in overdrive (which if you see below, I have added gain to quite a lot of videos)

Technical details:

- Most videos have gone through after effects in which I touch up the picture (mainly using the clone tool) and add an unsharp mask. I then output as either a PNG or animation codec (quicktime).

- I then put the file into Avid MC6, in which I usually have to up the gain levels quite a bit, especially the highlights (because it was shot grey and we want white backgrounds)

- I then output as a quicktime ref. H264 data 10k

- then upload to youtube

F001 in particular looks bad but if you see the image below, when in video manager it looks fine!

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
Re: Youtube thumbnail problem! Videos from Avid.
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:36:19 pm

That's spooky!

Seems like the problem is on Google's end, rather than anything you're doing. Especially since previous thumbs that were good have changed. Perhaps contact YouTube support?

Are you able to upload custom thumbnails? That could be a work-around. If you can't currently, maybe ask Google to enable that on your account.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 1, 2013 at 12:11:25 am

Try exporting Same As Source..NOT H.264...then take that file into Sorenson Squeeze, which came with your Avid software, and use one of its YouTube Presets.

See if it behaves any better. It seems more like a YouTube problem, since it looks correct in the Video Manager, but its worth a shot.

Return to posts index

Leo Pepperrell
on Nov 1, 2013 at 9:45:28 am

I've thought about using Sorenson but I've got nearly 1500 of these videos and I'm working on a tight deadline as it is. But that may just have to be the route I go down (if it works at all).

Custom thumbails may be the other route, but that too will be a pain in the arse because the photos we have arn't the recommend 1280x720 and they would have to be redone (The photos have the backgrounds edited out).

I cant seem to find any info on this error, it's got me stumped, I've started a post in Youtube support but if that doesnt work then I have no idea what to do.

Could it be anything to do with colour spaces? or RGB/Yuv? I don't really delve too deep in that side of editing but I know my avid videos arn't RGB because I needed to up the background colour (via gain) to values of 255 rather than 235 to look as white as possible...maybe thats it?

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Nov 3, 2013 at 2:10:39 am

Going same as source than out through squeeze would actually be a lot faster than doing it out of avid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]