FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID using varies RED footage fps for Music video, advice needed!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
AVID using varies RED footage fps for Music video, advice needed!
on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:28:23 am

Hi people, need a bit of advice, i'm going to be receiving a music video that has a combination of different fps ranging from 7fps to 150fps all shot on RED (not sure which one). Within the video i'm going to be slowing down and speeding up throughout the whole piece and then exporting to Resolve. Ive dealt with RED, twixtor, speed up and down and sending RED to resolve, but never all in one edit!

Just wondering what your thoughts are on a work flow, what effects (other that twixtor) i can use to achieve the speed ramps and anything i should be on the look out for before i start!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID using varies RED footage fps for Music video, advice needed!
on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:59:13 am

Let's start with the speed changes - have you tested the fluid motion speed changes in Resolve 10 to see if you want to use those? If not, does Twixtor make an OFX version? If no on both, then you make need t omove those shots over to After Effects, and use it there on a RED file.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ricky Milling
on Oct 31, 2013 at 1:10:27 pm

Hi Michael, thank you for your response, im currently tapping my feet waiting for the delivery of the drive so i have not been able to test anything yet. Im not stuck to use twixtor, ive used it in the past but that was for a 5D shoot with FCP.

My main question is with the importing in to the AVID to edit on. Normally i would link to AMA and/or transcode and then edit, but usually these all have the same FPS of 25, but im not sure how to start this work flow as in the end i would like to be able to relink back to the original R3D files for resolve.

Ive read that i can transcode everything to DNxHD in your deliverable frame rate, then use timewarp and fluidmotion, but im asking around to look at other people work flows before i get started, the worse thing i want to do is waste a day of transcoding by getting the basics wrong!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:37:37 pm

If the camera was properly set up when shooting on Red, it will have both the "base rate" and the "record rate" where "Base Rate" is the intended playback speed, or project rate. So assuming that the base rate is 23.976 and the record rate was 96fps (95.094fps) it would automatically play back as a 4x slomo. Same for a record rate of 12fos, it will play back twice as fast.

Once in the timeline, you will now have everything at 23.976 with clips at native rate or sped up or slowed down. From there you can apply whatever additional motion effect as needed creatively. That is where you get into the discussion of Twixtor, FluidMotion, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]