FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workaround to RTAS audio rendering problem?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Workaround to RTAS audio rendering problem?
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:16:21 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a documentary in which the audio was recorded way too quietly. The only way to edit using the original files is to boost them with an RTAS compressor by 32 db. I can hear these boosted audio files fine on my system, however, when I go to render, the render comes out garbled (like it was recorded underwater). I've tried audio mixdowns and have tried using the clip-based audio suite effects but get the same results. Nothing works. Some people on the Avid forums have said they think there's just something wrong with my system, or that audio is not meant to be boosted by such extreme amounts. I personally think it's just an unspotted bug in Avid. I don't know why it would sound fine when playing, but fall apart on render out.

My current workaround is to export each audio track (without the RTAS effects) as a wav file and to bring them all into Adobe Audition and do a rough mix (adding compression there). Audition is able to render out the sound mix properly. However, this whole activity takes a couple hours and makes it very difficult to send cuts of the documentary out to the director. Does anyone have any ideas for alternative workarounds? This issue has been driving me nuts for several months. Many thanks.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Workaround to RTAS audio rendering problem?
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:38:49 pm

Have you tried AudioSuite rather than RTAS to see if that works, or is there not a plug-in there that meets your needs?

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:41:11 pm

Hi, Michael. I did try AudioSuite. Unfortunately, nothing works.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:42:02 pm

Are you processing more than one track of audio? If there's two or more, the garbled, underwater sound may very well be caused by phasing differences between the two tracks. You may only hear the effect when mixing down to mono.

A 32dB increase in volume is pretty insane, though. The source has such a low dynamic range that it is unlikely to become usable (depends a bit on the bith depth of the original recording.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:14:33 pm

Thanks, Job. I've tried rendering only one track and I've tried rendering to mono and stereo. I can mix in Audition, but not Avid. I think what I'll have to do is mix in Avid with lower compression and gain values and use "Boom" volume boosting software on my mac, so that I can hear everything properly. Then, I'll export the movie and try bringing it into Final Cut Pro or Premiere and boosting the volume in there and exporting for the web. Your thoughts about the 32 db gain being insane made me realise I just couldn't mix in Avid the way I was. I do think it's a bug though, because I can do it in other software.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Oct 29, 2013 at 9:24:14 pm

I just did a test. I brought the Avid render ( with lower compression and gain settings) into Premiere. Once in there, I could increase the volume and compression of the movie to a much greater degree and render it out of there. This really makes me believe this to be an Avid bug or limitation. This workflow helps me get around exporting individual tracks from Avid and importing into Audition. It's still not ideal, but it's the only thing I can come up with for now.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]