FORUMS: list search recent posts

coming back to MC after 7 years working on FCP7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Christoforu
coming back to MC after 7 years working on FCP7
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:22:58 pm

Hi to every one,
Made the big decision and downloaded the trial version of MC 7 before buying the upgrade.
I converted a Prores 720p file to MFX using Sorenson and then exported from Davinci
Resolve, 3 clips using Avid's coded. Did all that in order to have some footage ready
for the big come back.

After installing MC7 on my Mac Pro I created an external project and saved my MC project there along
with the footage. I also downloaded the MFX plug in and restarted the MC.
Soon after I've tried to link the MFX footage from the exterior folder with no luck. MC couldn't link the
footage in the project.

Is that my only solution getting footage in to MC: copying files to: Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1

Well I can do that, but the meaning of creating an external project has no sense then is it?

best
john

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: coming back to MC after 7 years working on FCP7
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:31:38 pm

You went through a lot of steps that you didn't need to.

Use AMA (FILE>LINK TO AMA FILES) to access the ProRes Media. Avid will import that clip into a bin right away, no transcoding. Now, you can edit that...but since Avid really likes Avid media, it's best to click on that clip and go CLIP>CONSOLIDATE/TRANSCODE and Transcode that to DNxHD. Or...heck, just CONSOLIDATE. Because Avid now has ProREs MXF...so just consolidate and Avid will copy that clip into the proper folder, in the proper format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:07:11 am

Yes, thats great news! But what about the files that came from Resolve they are DNxHD I still can't import them using AMA. How do I import DNxHD files?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:09:23 am

Put them in a numbered folder in the Avid MediaFiles>MXF folder. Launch Avid...it'll scan the folder and create an .mdb file. Make a new bin, drag that file into that bin...bam, every clip in that numbered folder is now in that bin.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:19:08 am

Yes I guess I could do that, but I think I'm missing something here, my question is: if I number and copy the files to the MFX folder in MC's "heart" that means I can't work with an external created project. I'm I right or wrong. what I'm trying to do is to have an external folder for each project that I work on, and nest all my footage and MC stuff in that folder, that will give me the ability to go back and forth from my macbook to my Mac Pro. If I have the materials saved in to an MFX folder I won't be able to that.

really appreciated your input!

John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:39:47 am

[John Christoforu] "if I number and copy the files to the MFX folder in MC's "heart" that means I can't work with an external created project. I'm I right or wrong."

Wrong. And who said to put it in Avid's "heart?" When you connect a drive to your system, and point Avid at it as a media drive (media Creation settings), the Avid MediaFiles folder>MXF>1 folder are made. That folder structure is on EVERY drive Avid accesses.

[John Christoforu] "what I'm trying to do is to have an external folder for each project that I work on,"

Avid doesn't work that way. All the media for every project is put into one media folder, and you manage the media in the avid. Or, if you want to keep things separate, you change the Avid MediaFiles folder name to match the project...WHEN YOU DON'T WANT IT TO BE SEEN. Once you change the name in the slightest, Avid won't see it. But this is advanced tricks, so it might be confusing. Avid doesn't work like FCP, where there are separate folders per project.

[John Christoforu] "that will give me the ability to go back and forth from my macbook to my Mac Pro."

If you have the media, and the project file on the external drive, you can move it freely between systems. Be sure to back up the project somwhere else too. If the drive fails, you are hosed if you lose everything.

[John Christoforu] "If I have the materials saved in to an MFX folder I won't be able to that."

Wrong...that's how Avid works. For media to be seen it needs to be in that exact Avid file structure.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:00:44 am

[Shane Ross] "Wrong. And who said to put it in Avid's "heart?" When you connect a drive to your system, and point Avid at it as a media drive (media Creation settings), the Avid MediaFiles folder>MXF>1 folder are made. That folder structure is on EVERY drive Avid accesses."

I'm definitely getting close here! I went to media creation setting and found my target disc and understood how I change it. The problem is that in my target disc witch I call "SSD1" there are other projects and files
along with my Avid external project and the only option I get is to choose SSD1 with out having the ability to choose a specific folder just a drive. Is there a solution for it?

John

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:44:41 pm

Avid only goes as far as drive for mediafile management. There is no targeting or creation of project based mediafile folders done by Media Composer. There are tricks to managing manually but comes with limitations.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:05:11 pm

[John Christoforu] "the only option I get is to choose SSD1 with out having the ability to choose a specific folder just a drive. Is there a solution for it?"

No...this is how Avid works. You target the drive and it creates, on the root level, "Avid MediaFiles" and then inside 'MXF' and '1' folders. This cannot change. If you move or rename any of these, Avid cannot see the media.

It's Avid MC's way, or the highway.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:12:40 pm

Ok, got the picture, at this point I would like to personally thank you all, for your time and effort answering
my questions.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:17:47 pm

Well you can rename the numbered folder, but the limitation is that Media Composer will read it, but will not index any new material added to it. Media Composer itself will always want to render, capture, transcode, etc. to the "1" folder until it reaches its file size limit and automatically create a "2", then "3" etc.

When working on "dailies" for projects, I will put my transcoded MXF files for day 1 into a folder 11, then day 2 into 12, etc. This leaves MC to do its things for renders and such, but the original dailies files are segregated by day. Just note again that none of these folders can be targeted from within Media Composer. This is a half solution and needs careful attention to be useable.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:45:45 pm

Michael, this is silly, but I can't locate the MFX folder….. I'm on a mac, and I use the following path: Avid media composer folder>supporting files>Avid_mediafiles> but no MXF folder just a RAW folder.
I must be using the wrong path for sure.. any thoughts ?
John

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:53:04 pm

The "Avid MediaFiles" folder can ONLY be at the root level of any hard drive as seen here:

You have it buried in the Avid Media Composer>Supporting files folder.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:08:01 pm

Thanks Michael!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:40:43 am

If you want to manage your projects that way, and edit via AMA, then transcode to ProRes in Resolve rather than DNxHD. It is still surprising that it takes more steps to deal with Avid's native codec format than with others formats.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:34:54 pm

Just a side note.

When resolve creates a MXF DnxHD clip it is creating it as a op-atom MXF clip, which is the type that Avid creates and puts in the Avid Media files

The AMA plugin for MXF is looking for OP1a versions of MXFs such as found in the XDcam Codec or DnxHD clips created with a external video recorder (NANO FLASH, PIX 240 ect.)

Resolve does this because it is assuming that you are round tripping your color grading process and just want to skip the need to import the new media, because you would want to relink these new color graded clips to your old sequence clips in the AVID timeline.
I hope that makes sense.

If you really want to use resolve clips and just AMA link them in, not round tripping a project but just doing a quick color pass before edit, then your best bet is to export out of resolve as DnxHD MOVs and then AMA link into Avid and either start to edit, or background consolidate/transcode(consolidate will be much faster and give you more robust relinking and file management).

hope this helps just a little bit.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

John Christoforu
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:41:46 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the inside!

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:19:12 pm

I got majorly stumped by this recently.

Had a colourist export a MXF DNXHD file from Resolve, assuming that this would be the best way to get the file into Avid. I couldn't get it into Avid at all, and tried numerous things. In the end we just got a MOV DNXHD instead and imported it in the usual fashion.

I do find it quite odd that it seems to be so difficult, or at least pretty unintuitive to get a file in Avid's native format into the software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]