FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer with NVIDIA GTX

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skrobowski
Media Composer with NVIDIA GTX
on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:40:54 pm

Hi, I'm a Media Composer 7 user. I'm thinking of upgrading some of my hardware, and I have a question:

Is there anyone who is successfully using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, GTX 670, or other NVIDIA GeForce GTX card on a PC with one of the later versions of Media Composer (6.0, 6.5, or 7.0)? If so, could you please give your system specs?
(or)
Is there anyone who is using a GTX card and who has noticed specific issues with Media Composer compitbility? If so, could you please explain the issues that you experience while using the card and under what workflow you experience them?

I understand that this family of cards is not officially supported by Avid for the PC platform, but I'd like to know how many people are successfully using these.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Media Composer with NVIDIA GTX
on Oct 17, 2013 at 5:01:26 am

Daniel; first, you might like to check out this previous Creative Cow post, as it lists articles--there are not many--that try to address the consumer and gamer cards, such as GTX, with the workstation series cards, such as Quadro: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/45/893790

More directly to your question, I have a GTX 570 and it works without problems (on an Asus P6TV2-Deluxe mb, Media Composer 7, Win7 Pro). (12Gig RAM and it uses it all most of the time)

FWIW, I tweaked the "acceptable" Avid graphics card list within this config file: C:Program FilesAvidAvid Media ComposerSupportingFilesConfigQualifiedGPUBoards.txt I just make a copy of the original file, modify the file to show the card, GTX 570 and its driver version, and then MC will, in its startup process show that a qualified board is installed. I don't use the latest driver, which seemed to relate to spontaneous MC crashes. This may not really help, but it's the thought that counts.

You will no doubt be inclined to consider a "bigger" and current GTX card, e.g. 700 series, as one's budget might allow.

Ebay has the previous generation of Quadro 4000 series cards for about $400.

BUT, what I would like to know, is: what cards will show *any* GPU usage during rendering???

I realize that parallel processing is in its infancy, but other applications can utilize GPUs in processing.

I would like to see a head-to-head comparison of a GTX card and a Quadro card. Use any hardware platform that is reasonable; just highlight basic rendering speed and GPU utilization.

That, my friends, would immediately side-step the endlessly repeated excuse: "But GTX and Quadro are for different markets."

I don't care about "markets" because, like you, I suppose, I am not a professional with a company to buy it.

Just go head-to-head and let's see how they compare.

Even one of Creative Cows forum readers with both cards might do us the favor ??? :)

Good luck!
Mike

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 17, 2013 at 5:59:03 pm

All of the Geforce cards up to and including the Titan work fine with Media Composer. GPU acceleration is decided by the specs on the card which are easy to compare on Nvidia's website. Look at Cuda Cores and Memory bandwidth. As for Program comparisons there have been many on PPBM7 and the PPBM5 website with Adobe. The Quadro cards are never at the top. You can also see what the Octane users are using as well. That is very telling.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:16:23 pm

Erik; Thanks; please clarify: "... GPU acceleration is decided by the specs ..."

True enough for most applications that can take advantage of those cores, notably Premiere Pro, I understand.

But true for MC?

That is, running MC and watching a GPU widget, such as GPU Monitor, why do I see *no* GPU activity?

I have seen charts (somewhere) listing a GPU CUDA advantage, with ranges from about 1.5x speedup to 5-7x speedup.

If so, why can't we see it in a simple GPU monitor app?

Of course we would all love to KNOW that MC employs the GTX cards cards' CUDA cores: many more cores costing much less money.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 17, 2013 at 10:13:06 pm

I have not seen CUDA or Open CL GPU acceleration with any version of MC nor do their Graphic card spec requirements support such. The only acceleration Avid has stated with MC was Open GL which would be effects only and wouldn't follow the same rules and GPU acceleration

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 17, 2013 at 10:57:56 pm

Thanks, Erik; yes, I have heard from veteran programmers that parallel processing really is difficult and, in his opinion, the use of cores in CPUs or GPUs was in its infancy.

Nevertheless, they make super-computers using GPUs and Premiere seems to have some success.

So, tomorrow, tomorrow, ...

Mike

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Oct 18, 2013 at 3:15:53 pm

I've used AMC 7 on an iMac 2013 and there are no compatibility issues.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Oct 22, 2013 at 3:27:28 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]