FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I upgrade?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
Should I upgrade?
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:13:17 pm

How do I know if I can and should upgrade from my current Media Composer system?

I'm currently running MC 3.5 (I had upgraded from Avid express pro). I keep seeing the launch of Media Composer... we're now up to 7... is it necessary?

Thoughts - suggestions.
Thanks - Lori

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Should I upgrade?
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:47:45 pm

Will you be working with any of the current tapeless formats in the near future? Be required to do tapeless delivery? Then yes, I'd highly recommend it.

I will warn you though...coming from 3.5 there are many things that will throw you, like the Smart Tools. Now, you can turn them off, so they don't interfere and you can work normally, but the Smart Tool toolbar will always show.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:05:13 pm

Thanks Shane,

I do work with all tapeless formats now - and do tapeless delivery. I export out H.264.

Do you know if there is an easy way to see if I qualify for an upgrade without getting all new hardware? I got all new hardware when I upgraded the last time - getting all avid specs (in my tower) - to support the MC 3.5 (This is the area I'm weakest in - hardware/software).

Do I need to go all the way up to version 7 or is there another one you suggest?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:19:28 pm

MC 7 will be easier with those newer formats...direct access, very few work arounds, background transcoding...it's good.

Now...hardware. Well, MC7 doesn't work with Adrenaline, so I hope you don't have that. It only works with the Nitris DX and Mojo DX. And it's recommended that you have pretty current OS...on the mac side, 10.8.2 or 10.8.3. Not sure on the Windows side. So if your computer can handle the newer OS, then it might be fine.

Avid only sells MC7 at this time, BUT, the serial number for MC7 will work with MC 6.5.4...so you can use that one. But that's as low as you can go if you buy from Avid.

What hardware do you have now?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:42:16 pm

I have & use the Mojo (not sure if it's DX). My OS is -Windows XP, 32 bit, Service Pak 3, Nivida Quadro FX 1500, drivers - 182.67, Direct x version 9.0c, Intel core 2, Quad CPU, Q9400@ 2.66 GHz, 2.67 GHz, 3.24 GB of RAM. I also have a bunch of additional storage (not sure if that matters)

Does this help any?

I just checked the Avid site - they don't list the MC 6.5.4., only MC7 - but the upgrade is reasonable. Of course - if I don't have to get a whole new tower...

Thanks again Shane for your help. I really appreciate it.
Lori

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:56:21 pm

[Lor Porter] "I have & use the Mojo (not sure if it's DX)."

If it isn't the DX:

http://www.editheaven.co.uk/%5Bimages%5D/AvidGraphics/Mojo_004.jpg

But is the regular Mojo:

http://www.editheaven.co.uk/%5Bimages%5D/AvidGraphics/MojoSDI_001.jpg

Then it won't work. You'll need new hardware. Good news there is that there are lots of third party options to choose from, and most of them are under $1000. Aja.com, decklink.com, matrox.com all work with Avid.

[Lor Porter] "My OS is -Windows XP, 32 bit, Service Pak 3, Nivida Quadro FX 1500, drivers - 182.67, Direct x version 9.0c,"

I'll need a Windows person to answer this one...I'm all mac.

[Lor Porter] " Quad CPU, Q9400@ 2.66 GHz, 2.67 GHz, 3.24 GB of RAM."

That seems like it'd be fine, but definately get more RAM. You have it in decimals? 3.24? Not 4GB? I'd suggest at least 8GB...comfortable with 16GB. Good news there is it's cheap.

But really, if you are upgrading and know zero about the tech, I'd get it through a reseller that can make sure things work properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:02:03 am

Thanks Shane... all good information. I do not have the DX... but good to know. I'll look into getting all the upgrades... and make the move up.

Lori

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:16:33 am

... in addition to Shane's comments...

MC6.5 requires Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (and a 64-bit PC)

MC7.0 - that or Windows 8 Pro (or Enterprise) 64-bit.

Even if that Core 2 Duo computer is 64-bit and upgradeable to Win7/8 64-bit, it's too old to run MC6.5/7 efficiently. Sorry.

So a new PC, definitely. HP Z420 is a good foundation; Z820 - even better; a DIY or custom system (from shops like ADK, Puget) - may pack more performance into the same $$$ - a matter of preference. Lots of studios use HPs for their Avid systems.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 17, 2013 at 1:15:26 am

Thank you Alex! Looks like I'll need a new tower with the upgrade... as well as the new mojo dx. Yikes... Well, I better get working so I can afford the new system!

Wish me luck guys.
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]