FORUMS: list search recent posts

Student editor in conundrum over editing platform??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hami
Student editor in conundrum over editing platform??
on Oct 12, 2013 at 8:20:45 am

Hello,

I know that probably this topic has been beaten to death, but as a film student I need some Pro advice on this.

As a film student, I've spent the last year or so on FCPX, and find myself pretty proficient with it. But being based in Texas (I don't know if this is a regional thing) most jobs here want either a Final Cut 7 or AVID user. and at times a Premiere user.

My problem is that it seems due to the marketplace, I have to learn at least one of the other suites to even make myself presentable. My question is what to choose? I might as well add that in terms of money, I do have the money to spend thousands on AVID if it is the way to go. I'm just confused which one would be more suitable to learn 2013+? And my goal is to edit movies, so I'm thinking this pushes me toward AVID, but in my city, there are also a good number of jobs for FCP7 (in the TV industry).

I would appreciate any feedback on this

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Student editor in conundrum over editing platform??
on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:20:11 pm

Well to start, as a freelance editor in an open market, it behooves you to learn more than one NLE. And by your own research have indicated FCP7 and Avid Media Composer. So now you know direction. Secondly, Media Composer is not "thousands". Full retail for latest version of Media Composer is $995. As a student, you can get the very same version for $295 and includes 4 years of upgrades.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 12, 2013 at 5:50:42 pm

I'd learn Avid and Premiere...FCP 7 is discontinued and will be phased out in a few years.

Avid is only $300 for students, as Michael said...and Premiere is only $50 a month....less if you have any Adobe product currently in your possession.

And keep up with FCX...that might expand more...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bobby Hami
on Oct 12, 2013 at 11:12:23 pm

Shane,

A followup question. Even though there are currently a lot of jobs offering work with FCP 7 would you still say it is more worthwhile to learn Premiere and AVID? How longer do you personally think FCP 7 will be in demand? Because if its still going to have a shelf life for at least 5 years, it might not be a bad idea to learn it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2013 at 2:12:33 am

Learn what the jobs are using. Keep it simple.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bobby Hami
on Oct 12, 2013 at 11:09:57 pm

Thanks Michael.

I was going of the old Media Composer price I looked up which I think was around $2500.

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Oct 12, 2013 at 6:43:17 pm

I'll third the vote for Avid - it's probably the most different system from FCPX, knowing both will make you a more well-rounded editor.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:06:48 am

I'd agree Legacy FCP is already dying out and there maybe a few hangers on in 5 years but not many.
All the work is shifting to tapeless formats and FCP legacy isn't being supported to cope with new formats.

One thing I would point out is that FCPX is a very different way of working and we find editors going from more traditional track base NLEs find it a hard transition so I can only imagine it to be the same going the other way.

So be prepared to struggle and curse when you find yourself having to adapt to a different mind-set and workflow.

And yes I'd go the Avid route. The Academic license is a good way to learn but the license prohibits doing commercial work on it of course.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]