FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProTools storage question (easy)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
ProTools storage question (easy)
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:11:42 pm

Hello, herd. I've got five production studios here at work (audio only), and I'm looking to install five new iMacs running PT. One of these new iMacs is already onsite, running PT v11. My goal here is to eventually have all five of these iMacs using a central storage server for audio sessions, so that someone would be able to bounce from room to room and access all the same sessions. The storage server would need to be able to send massive amounts of record/playback audio over ethernet in realtime in order for this to work. Would the ISIS 5500 be a good choice for this? I looked into the ISIS 2000, but that seems more tailored to archiving and not so much for realtime sessions. Thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: ProTools storage question (easy)
on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:26:21 pm

The 1st problem you will tackle is latency and a single Gbit channel will be a concern with Latency. The larger the project ie more tracks along with lower the audio buffer , the greater the latency becomes an issue. I would highly suggest you look at 10Gbe for this since the latency will be allot lower. Netgear has a 8 port 10Gbe switch for $900 or under or 12 Port Switch for $2000 or under. Small Tree has 10Gbe network solutions via Thunderbolt. The Central Storage options are there with 10Gbe add on card options or built in with the higher end ISIS units. Either way I would plan the infrastructure first and then look at storage options that fit. You can work on Gbit but the transport response time will be slow and lower audio buffers are not going to work.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:15:01 am

Paul,

We have six pro tools rooms running off of an ISIS 5000. They are connected via single gig E cable.

Works fine. Latency is NOT an issue with more recent versions (PT 11).

Mark

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:23:14 pm

Eric/Mark, thanks for the replies. Mark, would you happen to know if that non-latency also extends to the Express version of PT? I think I'll be able to get away with using that version on 4 of my 5 iMacs. It seems like the Express version would work, since it's a lighter version with less actual data to xfer back and forth.

Looks like I'll be running some gig E cable next. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:35:26 am

don't know.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Abrams
on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:02:46 pm

The amount of data that has to be transferred back and forth is dependent upon how much audio data you have in your session. The version of Pro Tools has no effect on how much data you have to retrieve from or send to the network attached storage.

--
Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT
Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5) Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)
Vice-Chairman, NY section, AES

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]