FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying clips from one sequence to the other

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xavier pilsudksi
Copying clips from one sequence to the other
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:05:42 am

Hey guys

Moving from FCP to Avid so of course my brain "thinks" FCP but I am ready to rewire :-)
One of my staple in my FCP is creating a sequence with a bunch of selects: hero shots, great SOTs, etc.... I end up with 40 clips or more sometimes.
When I am done screening, I go through the sequence, organize the clips by type (SOTs-explosion-comedy...). All I do is grab a clip, Cut it (Cmd-X) and then Shft-V to insert it.

Once the sequence is well organized I open my working sequence where I'll edit the :30 spot and I go back and forth between the select sequence to the Working sequence. I find a clip I need, I select it, Cmd-C, go to the other sequence which is already opened, select my Layer targets and paste the clip perfectly with Video on V3 and Audio on A5-6 if that's the only place.

Tonight's been driving me crazy with Avid. I am sure I can do the same thing but so far it seems it is going to require a lot of mouse moving and clicking...
Any tips?...

Thanks

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Copying clips from one sequence to the other
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:35:06 am

What you could do is drag your selects sequence into the source window and use the 'toggle source/record button' (see pic) to achieve something similar to selecting the sequence tabs in FCP.

You can then go through the source timeline and when parked on a clip you want mark an in and out by pressing T, then toggle back to the record timeline select which tracks you want and insert/overwrite as desired.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:59:48 pm

hmm......
this means I could not jump from edit point to edit point and the sequence would play as a long clip without seeing physical separation between the clips like I would in the timeline.
It makes it hard with my sequences that have 40-50 clips that are sometimes 15-20frames.
In FCP you "see" the clip so it's easy to jump from one to the other (I know this is not FCP :-) I'm just illustrating what I'm trying to accomplish)

Thx for your response

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 9, 2013 at 7:20:38 pm

You can see the clip, the timeline changes from the record timeline to the source timeline when you press the toggle button shown above. So you can load the selects sequence in the source window whilst you edit sequence is open, press the toggle button, you will then see the timeline for you selects sequence park on a clip you want, mark in/out press the toggle button again and you're back in the sequence you want to paste to and press b or v to overwrite/insert.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:53:23 pm

this would be awesome!
Trying right away.

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54:29 pm

i think i am missing a step.
FOllowing your explanations after I Mark In/Out in the selects Sequence, I Toggle and shld be able to insert or oerwrite... but nothing's happening.
I tried Copy after marking I/O.... but nothing.

Then if I do Opt-C it brings the clip marked in the Comp. but then I toggle between this new clip and the working sequence...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:31:12 am

Keep in mind, you can load your selects sequence in the source monitor. Drag it there, don't double click it.
You can toggle to see the source as a timeline by clicking the source/record button at the bottom left of the timeline window. You can edit from the source selects timeline into your main sequence just like a clip...unlike FCP, the clips do not become a nest and retain their "individuality"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]