FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using "green screen" with Avid Media composer 3.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
Using "green screen" with Avid Media composer 3.5
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:12:14 pm

I may be doing a spot and would need to treat footage as if shot on a green screen. It is going to be shot on WHITE - lit evenly - can I still execute that - and how? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. The only green screen I used to do was when I worked in TV as a TD and the switcher did the work for me.

Thanks - Lori

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Using "green screen" with Avid Media composer 3.5
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:17:43 pm

You're trying to key out the white? You really don't want to do that. If it's something stylistic, like words going behind a person in a sit down interview and soft edges around an Animatte Effect are fine, that might work. I've done effects like that before, but if you're expecting a clean key off of white, I'll save you the suspense, it's going to be painful. Any specular light on their forehead will key out, the whites of their eyes, if they're wearing a button shirt, the buttons will typically reflect light and key out.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:35:04 pm

Richard,

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Ugg - will any other color work? I don't think I have access to a "green" screen besides maybe a local TV station.

The subject will hopefully be wearing a Polo shirt... She's from Sea World, and the producer was hoping to put a Sea World shot behind her (we are in upstate NY, NO real Sea World).

I was going to assist at the shoot - to make sure the lighting would work. Softer on her - and clean - no shadowing in the backdrop. I could always try to convince them the clean white background would look good too. ;)

Thoughts?
Lori

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:25:47 pm

There are two types of colors that are keyable: green and Blue. And the need to be specific shades of those colors. And the talent needs to not have any of that color in their outfits. If the talent is blond, best to blue screen.

White screen is rarely done, and only by people with very high keying and rotoscoping abilities.

If you want to shoot someone against a key able backdrop, you have to do it right. Anything less makes it more difficult to key, worse if you are new to the keying workflow.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Oct 8, 2013 at 11:45:13 pm

Thanks Shane,

Yea - I think I'm going to see if we can just book time using one of the green screens at one of our local TV stations. Or I can see if the guy the producer is using to shoot has that "blue" one.

Or if we can shoot something outside - or a different background all together... They weren't committed to the keying option, they were just thinking they might want it.

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I've also got to brush up on how to key her - if we go that route. I don't want to build higher hurdles than I can jump.

Have a good night.
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]