FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting to youtube

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeanette jegger
exporting to youtube
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:22:33 pm

hi all, im new to this site and quite excited to getback into avid-lane,been years! im producing a few youtube clips intended for that purpose, what is the best file to export as, in order to upload to youtube? many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: exporting to youtube
on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:50:14 pm

Here are the recommended settings from the YouTube Help:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I would suggest encoding in an app like Sorenson (comes with your Media Composer and most likely has a preset for it) or any other encoding application. From Media Composer, I would trancode everything to DNxHD, then export as a QT reference. I have also done video and audio mixdown to DNxHD or ProRes and exported "same as source" to encode from there in these apps. And on OS X I have also taken these "same as source" and used FCPX direct export to YouTube.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeanette jegger
on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:55:39 pm

thanks so much, i expect to post here much more!

Return to posts index

jeanette jegger
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:12:15 am

hi Michael, back again! thanks for the reply.. so another question- i might be shooting with 2 old (non hdvd) cameras, one sony pd150 pal, and a sony pd170 ntsc and editing the clips on avid, is this do-able (bearing in mind the end product is non broadcast, rather youtube) or is it a recipe for an editing disaster?? with thanks again

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 22, 2013 at 3:18:01 pm

It sure is - just capture each of the formats in their appropriate project types NTSC or PAL then progressive or 23.976 or whatever it might be. Then you will bring those together in whatever project format you want to deliver to YouTube. Since there are no real frame rate requirements for streaming, it can be 23.976, 24, 25, 30 but I would say always work progressive as computer and mobile screens are progressive, as are all flat screens, and theatrical... off on a tangent, but interlace should just go away as it was originally conceived as a means of compression when going to air... I digress...

The formats are Rec.601 video levels meaning that black is 16 RGB and white is 235 RGB. Work that way till the end, then when exporting for encode, select RGB which will expand 16-235 to 0-255 to look right on computer type screens.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeanette jegger
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:38:21 pm

thanks so much for this, it all sounds like a foreign language that one learnt at school and hasnt used in like 15 years so im not sure if im going to braveit, looking for another pal to hire but if im not successful i might be picking your brain with a fine tooth comb - thank you for the feedback! all the editors here are telling me not to do it, so thanks for the positive vote

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]