FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID Media Composer 7 vs Adobe Premier Pro CS6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sheree Day
AVID Media Composer 7 vs Adobe Premier Pro CS6
on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:59:19 am

I'm looking to purchase either Avid's new Media Composer 7 or Premier Pro CS6 (only the Premier Pro portion - I'm not interested in the CC version which is subscription as I won't use it that often). Primarily I want the software to edit holiday videos etc.

I know the very basics of using both, but what I need to know is:

1. I can export a mov file (or similar), but what program is best to create a DVD? Just a standard DVD, not blu-ray. I gather neither program can create a DVD from what I have tried with both programs.

2. Does Media Composer 7 come with Boris FX (I have searched the AVID website and am none the wiser) or do I need to purchase add-ons like some colour correction, title effects etc.

I am running an iMac with Lion.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVID Media Composer 7 vs Adobe Premier Pro CS6
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:13:40 am

1) Avid Media Composer does not ship with DVD authoring on the Mac side, only the PC side. If you want to author a DVD you'll need Toast or the Adobe software.

2) Boris FX is now a separate purchase. This is how Avid is able to offer MC for $995, instead of $2500. Things like Script Sync, Phrase Find, Boris FX...are separate add ones. It does ship with Avid FX.

[Sheree Day] "Primarily I want the software to edit holiday videos etc."

If that's what you'll be editng, I recommend Premiere Pro. I really only recommend Avid if you are editing for TV or feature films. Adding photos, doing titles, compositing shots is much easier in PPro than in Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID Media Composer 7 vs Adobe Premier Pro CS6
on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:18:47 pm

I would also consider Apple FCPx (I think you're on a Mac right?) for doing such videos. If you go to the apple store you will see some DVD authoring programs - I cannot vouch for any of them. I have always used Adobe Encore for DVD myself as I work on Mac and Win and liked the cross platform availability so there was no relearning.

I agree with Shane that for the type of video production you are looking to do, Premiere Pro would probably be the better choice. While Media Composer can mostly do the job, it can be more limiting in the areas where you may want to deal with such as effects, layers, types of plug-ins, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]