FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming .mxf files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Ryan
Renaming .mxf files
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:06:53 am

I've got a puzzling question.

We are shooting with Red a lot these days and then coloring at an outside facility. On a regular basis we ask the color house to repo shots in various framing options taking advantage of the 5K red frame size.

The color facility then gives us back the colored ftg as mxf files. We put them into an Avid MediaFile folder and use media tool to locate them and drag them into a new bin. Pretty simple.

The problem comes when we receive multiple files from the color house with different framing but they have the exact same name. i.e.; a001_co10_12345.89765.mxf.

The color facility places them in different folders describing the reframing. Obviously we can't have multiple files with the same name in the same mxf folder. I'd like to rename the files or their meta data before moving them into the mxf folders to reflect the framing and then use media tool to bring into the Avid.

But... no matter what I do the media tool will not recognize the new file names.

We then have to jump through multiple hoops to bring them into different Avid MediaFile folders etc..

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Renaming .mxf files
on Oct 3, 2013 at 2:11:27 pm

You could run them through resolve and get it to assign unique file names.

Avid is trying to protect you from yourself. There are enough people unable to relink back to the original file...Avid is trying to avoid you being one of those people.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Renaming .mxf files
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:57:26 pm

I would bring the issue up with the color facility when they create the files that they are uniquely named. What are they using to create the new files?

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]