FORUMS: list search recent posts

how large can a media composer project be without slowing things down

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
amy murray
how large can a media composer project be without slowing things down
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:16:26 pm

I would like to have a project dedicated to miscellaneous video that I will be collecting and keeping over the years. My concern is knowing how may clips I can keep in a project without it slowing down. My thought is to break up the video into different bins depending on subject. Then when working on other projects I would just open a few bins from the misc. bins. However, I can see a need to have multiple bins from the miscellaneous project open in future projects.

Is there a guide to how much video to have in one project?

If I open multiple bins from this project into a new project will it slow down, even if not all the bins are open at once?

Sorry if this has been covered, I was unable to find a related post.

Thanks!
Amy

Media Composer 7, Mac OS X

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: how large can a media composer project be without slowing things down
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:54:43 pm

Media Composer projects aren't one file...they consist of many files. There's a couple files tied to the project, and they never get to be too large...hardly ever over 1MB. The bins are what get big. Try to keep those under 40MB...and no, having multiple bins open won't slow the system down. Well, when it comes to Autosave time, it will...every bin will save changes. So in that respect, it will slow down. And the larger the bin, the longer the save time. But other than that, there's no speed impact.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:04:02 pm

Like Shane says... the biggest project I've seen firsthand was Alice in Wonderland 3D which had close to 5000 bins in a project. The Lord of Rings were all posted at once, but I am not sure whether it was three projects with shared bins, or all one project with folders and bins to manage the three releases.

Michael

Return to posts index

amy murray
on Sep 25, 2013 at 12:50:58 am

Wow, ok, this puts my fears to rest.

Thanks for your help,

Amy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]