FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with more than 16 audio tracks

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Dot
Working with more than 16 audio tracks
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:48:37 pm

Hi all,

Working on a show that currently has 26 mics running simultaneously, with 6 cameras.

Our first step is to group everything for multi-cam, however with Avid's 16 track limit,
we're running into some issues.

We'll subclip everything, no problem there... but when we try to make groups, tracks 1-16 behave normally, and anything above this gets piled onto Audio track 1, forcing us to have to right click on the clip to toggle between all the audio.

Tracks 1 2 and 3 need to only have ONE audio source on them, as they are our mains.

Our workaround seems a bit ridiculous. We are making new sequences for each track greater than 16, marrying it with a video track, and manually placing it on tracks 4, 5, 6, etc so that track 1 2 3 are clean.

There HAS to be a better system, so I am reaching out to this great community.

Any advice, or workflow suggestions when more than 16 tracks of audio need to be used in a group clip situation?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mike Dot
Re: Working with more than 16 audio tracks
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:54:16 pm

If it helps, we're on 6.5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:17:17 pm

26 mics? So 26 individual mono tracks...OK, that makes my though of using Stereo Tracks moot. Is there audio on all 26 tracks, all the time? You might need to make group subclips that eliminate the unused mic tracks.

This is where FCP and Adobe excel. I've always had an issue with this, and wonder why on earth Avid cannot fix this...and why that HAVEN'T fixed this by now. Their workaround is stereo tracks, but why they can't make more than 16 tracks work...gotta be some major code in the software preventing this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:20:03 pm

Pretty sure that stereo tracks still don't work with group clips. Can you auto sync them in groups of 8 or 12 audio tracks then group those with the video?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:48:03 pm

Oh...and MC6.5 and MC7 allow for 24 tracks of real time audio...up to 64 "voices." So you can have all your mono tracks...but then nothing for SFX or MUSIC....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]