FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing a clip in the timeline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
Replacing a clip in the timeline
on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:51:50 pm

After backing up material containing a multi-camera shoot I somehow managed to lose the MXF from one of the cameras:

Thus a single clip is missing and is shown in red on the timeline. I have brought a new version of the clip into the same bin and would like to have the timeline which is referencing the old clip refer to the new. I would be grateful for guidance as to the best way to do this.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Replacing a clip in the timeline
on Sep 22, 2013 at 9:05:19 pm

Select the timeline and the new clip. Right click the sequence and choose to relink and in the relink dialog choose to "Relink to selected clips". See if that works.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Sep 23, 2013 at 7:28:16 am

Hi Michael, thank you very much for your assistance. I don't see a specific option "Relink to selected clips" so I assume I should work with the larger, more complex dialogue box? When you say "select the timeline" do you mean setting in and out points where media is offline? Clips were grouped for multicamera,- is this my issue? Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:05:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Select all the clips in all the bins that you want to relink, right click the sequence (in the bin) you want to relink them to, select relink then select the 'Selected items in all open bins' (see pic)

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:41:43 pm

Thanks, Paddy.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:08:37 pm

Select the clip and sequence in your bin, then right click the sequence in your bin and choose Relink. I wasn't very clear on that.

In the Relink dialogue you'll find the checkbox for "Selected items in ALL open bins". See here:

Ideally your sequence will relink the offline clip to your new clip. I don't think the fact that's it's a multicam clip will matter, but I don't do a lot of multicam editing so I've never tested it.

Question: You said you brought in a new instance of the offline clip. What is the source material and how did you bring it in? The answer to that may affect your ability to relink.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:16:03 pm

Hi Michael, thank you for your help. The missing camera uses AVCHD,- I have a mix of formats in this multi-camera scene - I have been struggling with MC's pipe stall error when importing longer AVCHD files and transcoding either within Avid when it wants to comply or else by rendering it from Vegas. In this case it wasn't at all cooperative.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]