FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distorted H.264 videos in composer 7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasja Mihelcic
Distorted H.264 videos in composer 7
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:51:15 pm

hello,

I recently got a material filmed with the new 5D Mark3 Canon. On Komputerbay 64GB card.The material was shoot in 720p 59,94i fps.

I imported the H.264 material on external dsk. I started to convert the H.264 files with composer import settings to apple prores 422 (HQ). When video is played on time line it looks distorted when camera moves or people move.

When I convert the H.264 file with MPG Streamclip to apple prores 422 (Q) it plays perfectly in FCP but in composer 7 is still distorted. I tried to convert in to avid native file, with no success...(DNxHD)still distorted. i used squeeze with no effect.

FCP shows very bright colours, while composer 7 shows less of the colours, more washed picture.

Any idea how to import H.264 files in to composer 7 that it does not get distorted? there are horizontal lines.

thx.
vasja

Mac os x, iMac full spec. 2013, G-Raid thunderbolt dsk. External video preview NEC (hdmi).

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Distorted H.264 videos in composer 7
on Sep 23, 2013 at 3:19:07 am

Link via AMA and transcode. Don't import.

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Sep 23, 2013 at 10:29:27 am

Hay,

I tried AMA link, but there is still horizontal distortion when there is movement in the video. i used auto detect AMA current settings. The material is on the external dsk. G_RAID with thunderbolt.
Hm...

thx.

Vasja

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:45:35 am

Sounds like a playback display issue.
Try opening the console under tools and entering "tearingfix"
Then ok.
Restart MC and see what that does.
If that doesn't help then google MC display tearing. There are a few other solutions.
It's most likely an issue with your screen refresh rate and MC playback rate.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:46:35 pm

Evening...

Thank you for the tipp. It didn't help joust to write tearing fix...head to wright also, fsp lock. Now it seams to work fine...I wonder what did that do to the quality of what i am viewing...
I see what does a control monitor NEC says when i work with FCP and when i work with AVID...What is the difference in the picture. FCP shows bright colors, while composer milky colors.

Vasja

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 26, 2013 at 1:11:33 am

The video displayed on your computer in the source/record monitors (viewer/canvas in FCP) are not meant for critical color. They are just a GUI representation. If you want to know what it really looks like you need to have external monitoring hardware.

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Sep 26, 2013 at 7:25:25 am

Hi John,

I,m using 23" NEC P232w-bk monitor. It is not yet calibrated, this comes. It is connected thru the adapter thunderbolt-hdmi. properly calibrated is quit adequate as a monitoring display.
Media composer 7 has pale, not strong colors.
FCP 7 has strong colors like when i look the preview of the material in Quicktime. Much brighter.
But have to wait for calibration thru spectra view II. And a pro technical from TV will come to inspect the proper levels. There will be additional hardware needed i think...

Have a good day,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]