FORUMS: list search recent posts

External BM Mini Monitor - Audio Issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
External BM Mini Monitor - Audio Issue
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:33:31 pm

Hallo Everybody,

I am still a newbie when it comes to AVID, so forgive me if my question is one of the redundant ones:
I recently got the BlackMagic MiniMonitor as external device to connect my broadcast monitor.
FCP and avid recognise this device and play sound and picture though that.
In FCP I can easily switch it off, so the sound does not go the MiniMonitor, but plays again through the computer.
But in AVID I don't seem to find that option.
It's playing the audio to the blackmagic device, which mutes my timeline, but no way to switch it back to output audio on the computer.
More than happy for any suggestions, since it seems rather complicate, that each time I wanna work with AVID, I have to restart my computer and disconnect the MiniMonitor.

Thanx.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: External BM Mini Monitor - Audio Issue
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:46:12 pm

If Avid is set to output through the mini monitor it outputs both video and audio - can't run audio separately like you can in FCP. In your timeline, though, you can disable outputting through the mini monitor (it's called the hardware toggle button, I believe), and then Avid defaults back to your default system output (I think - haven't tested it in a while).

The disadvantage of this is you are no longer monitoring your video on your broadcast monitor.

If you can run audio from your monitor to your speakers (or a mixer) then you can just leave the monitoring on and you'll get your audio out of Avid with your video monitoring.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:16:44 pm

Thank. Where is the hardware toggle button?
I don't need to see my edits in AVID on he broadcast monitor.
Only need that for Resolve.

Thanx.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:29:43 pm

I think this was added in v5.5 or 6. Can't remember. What version of Avid are you running?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:48:45 pm

Avid MC 6

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:04:19 pm

I just looked it up - the hardware toggle was added in 6.5. I thought it was there before that.

If you upgrade to 7 you'll be able to toggle the hardware on and off. Plus you get FrameFlex, source side LUT support, and a bunch of other stuff. I've been happy with MC7 and recommend it.

Question for you though - how do you like the Mini Monitor? I'm about to order one for an iMac we just got. Any issues with it? We'll be using it to output from Avid, Premiere and Resolve.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:22:11 pm

It was there in 5.5, vanished in 6.0 for no good reason, added back in 6.5.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:42:32 pm

Hi Shane,

Does the mean, that I have no way inside AVID to switch off the output to The BMDMM Box?
Only way o restart computer and disconnect TB cable?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:08:15 pm

I'm running the BMDMM. It does pass thru audio to whatever device can disembed the audio signal from the video. I bought at $58 HDMI audio disembedder, which I then feed to my speaker amplifier system. Works the bomb!

Disclaimer: This assumes you're using the sdi port, so HDMI is free. If not, the audio disembedder will pass thru the HDMI video signal to feed the monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]