FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Vs FCP7 - Pros and Cons for both.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kira Light
Avid Vs FCP7 - Pros and Cons for both.
on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:22:32 pm

Hi,
I'll be working on a new production soon... the company I'll be working for wants to discuss the pros and cons for using AMC or FCP7.

I'm very familiar with FCP but I've not used AMC for a couple of years and I know a few things have changed.

We'll mostly be using a C300 for one production, single camera I believe...
There will be 3 separate edits so they'll need access to generic folder of selected media also.

They'll be working on shared storage I think (to be confirmed)...

What are the pro's and cons for both? Just want to make sure I've got everything covered really.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Vs FCP7 - Pros and Cons for both.
on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:50:02 pm

Avid MC:
Pros - The Canon C300 shoots MXF files in the XDCAM codec...Avid works with those natively. AMA then consoldiate (copy to the media drive) and begin working. Very fast import. MC is constantly being updated.

CONS: Not the easiest to composite shots with. Plugins for it aren't as prevalent as for FCP 7...and those that are out there are expensive.

FCP 7:

Cons: It's DOA. Been two years since it was updated, and Apple has discontinued updating it and supporting it. Only a matter of time before it no longer works with current workflows. You'll need to convert the C300 footage to ProRes, which takes longer than consolidating in Avid.

Pros: You know how to use it, plugins are cheaper. But, it's EOL. That should end the discussion right there. Don't invest in software that is old and done. If you want to continue with Apple, look at FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kira Light
on Sep 19, 2013 at 5:26:17 pm

Wow, that's really helpful... thank you.

The company has access to both so there's no purchase pressure.

So, you bring in the media via AMA into the bins and consolidate all the clips in the bin before beginning the edit, is that correct?

Sarah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 19, 2013 at 5:35:56 pm

Yes. You use AMA to load the clips from the camera offload drives into bins. Then you CONSOLIDATE to your media drive. Basically all that does is copy from the backup drive, or cards, to the media drive...in the Avid file structure.

Then you edit.

And yes, I suggest moving forward with software that has a future.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]