FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
Documentary
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:46:35 pm

Hi,

I am about to begin editing a documentary shot on different types of cameras. The footage has been shot on iPhones, Sony EX1 and RED. What would be the best way to go about managing, importing, transcoding etc.?

Basically, I don't really know how to approach this.

Final output will be for HD broadcast.

Best,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Documentary
on Sep 18, 2013 at 6:50:50 pm

[Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff] "What would be the best way to go about managing, importing, transcoding etc.?"

AMA to access the footage, then transcode. To what depends on many factors. How much footage? How much space do you have to store this footage? If you have tons of footage, but little space, then you might do the offline/online workflow...transcode to DNxHD36, or DV, or 10:1. Then relink to the master footage later and transcode to DNxHD 220. Or, if you have the space, transcode to DNxHD 145 and edit that all the way.

[Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff] "Basically, I don't really know how to approach this."

Might be best to hire an assistant editor who knows all this technical stuff. No offense, you might be a fantastic editor, and there are many fantastic editors who know jack about the technical stuff (Walter Murch is one of them)...and they rely on their assistants to do all that.

If I were in your situation, and I am a lot, I'd transcode to lower res DNxHD36...edit, then relink to the originals, transcode to DNxHD 220 for the online.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Keith Slavin
Re: Documentary
on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:50:09 pm

Hi Danil,

It is more efficient if you first make all of your footage conform to a common frame-rate, scan-type and resolution, then edit them together. If you final output is 59.94i for example, we suggest you first convert everything into 59.94p, edit, and export interlaced when done. (interlacing is relatively easy to do.)

isovideo offers a best quality, fast-turn around media conversion service using our award-winning Viarte server. We recently used Viarte for footage conversion (59.94i to 23.98p) for Ron Howard's “Made in America” documentary, which was world premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2013. Please see details from http://isovideo.com/press_915.php (or http://news.creativecow.net/story/872888). Also you may want to see a testimonial from Jerome Raim, who was the lead assistant editor of “MiA” at http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/240/761#765.

We could help you with the conversion to smooth and clean 59.94p. If you are interested in trying out our service, you could send email to keith@isovideo.com. We could run a quick test and see if it works for you.

Best,
Keith Slavin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]