FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for Apple ProRes HQ/Dnx36?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Clarendon
Best workflow for Apple ProRes HQ/Dnx36?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 2:37:24 pm

I have a client who has ProRes files he has transcoded to Avd Dnx36 for low rez editing on Avid. Once the edit is complete, how does one conform the low rez cut to the ProRes files?

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Best workflow for Apple ProRes HQ/Dnx36?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 4:20:13 pm

This is a pretty good piece that goes over the AMA offline to online workflow.

This one is applicable to MC 6 and above

This is also a good one that applies specifically to XDCAM but will familiarize you with the concept.

The one thing that neither of these touches on, is that you should always make a video mix down of your offline before you relink. This will be laid over the top of your sequence once the relink is finished, so you can do an A/B match to make sure all clips are in proper sync and nothing went wrong with the relinking process. I also usually subsequence my video only before I relink so that I'm only relinking and transcoding my video.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 15, 2013 at 9:58:09 pm

Lots of good info there. In v7 you can choose to relink V, A, or VA, etc so you don't have to subsequence the tracks out anymore. I would also make sure to check with whomever did the DNxHD36 proxies that the original filename was properly applied to the proxies in either TAPE or SOURCE FILE column.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:23:15 am

If the client originally used AMA to link the files and then transcoded then it's just a matter of re-linking the final sequence back to the re-mounted AMA source files.
If the client imported the files then you have to batch re-import them which is slower and takes up much more space as you have to import the whole source file not just the part used.

The other issue that can occur is if the client has changed the framerate by doing a Transcode in a different framerate project. That breaks the re-linking process (as the timecodes now can't match)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:14:30 pm

Should anyone ever have a need to relink back to original frames rates after a transcode...

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=22

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:38:15 pm

Of course ideally the Transcode option should just offer two choices when the source and destination framerates don't match.
It should offer to Transcode and frame rate convert with the warning about breaking re-linking or Transcode and maintain the frame rate.
Expecting users to create a separate project to achieve that is clunky at best.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:47:07 pm

I agree, but since it is possible to relink, the whole idea of the warning message saying it can't is not true. There is a timecode column for every frame rate and pulldown type in the bins - there really is no reason why a transcode conversion cannot still be tracked with original timecode in addition to current project rate. I put it into the bucket of incomplete solution design. The same way there needs to be a setting for frame for frame.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]