FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Optimize a workstation and organized files on media Composer for best performance?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario League
How to Optimize a workstation and organized files on media Composer for best performance?
on Sep 14, 2013 at 3:35:15 pm

Hi guys, I’m overwhelmed with the amount of info out there, forums and everybody have their own way to do things but I need help Optimizing my workstation for Avid Media Composer 7 and After Effects, as I do both.

To specify what I do, I’m an indie freelance editor and 2D compositor, making low budget DOCs, music videos, motion graphics and 2Dcompositing with After Effects. Mostly HD but I just got offered a Music Video, to edit and do all the FX with RED footage.

Not even know how to start there, but I just found the workflows guide in the avid site. I’ll have to start there.
I just bought a Dell T7600 and I want to Optimize the workstation for MC7 and AE. I did find a video online about “How to Optimize your workstation for After Effects” but I need also to Optimize it for Media Composer 7 as both software will be in the same workstation.

The main computer specs are:

- Dell Precision,T7600
- Dual Six CoreXEON E5-2630,2.3GHz,T7600
- 19 in 1,Media Card Reader,T7600
- Nvidia Quadro K5000, 4GB
- RAID 1,PWS TX600
- 2- 2TB,SATA,3.5",7200,64M,2
- Windows 7
- C1 SATA 3.5 IN,1-4 HDD,PWS T7600
- Windows 7

Later, I will be adding Nvidia tesla k20 card (not now), config with the Quadro k5000 for maximus for after effects performance.

The first thing I would like to know, before I start using it and not to be messy, it is how to split personal work, files, jobs, etc. How to organize the files.

Do I do a partition for regular computer stuff? Do I put working footage on the second drive? I also have an external Caldigit drive.

Right from the beginning I have the wrong Hard drives. I have 2 hard drives, each 2TB raid 1. The drives are 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s, but I want solid state drives. What kind of drive do you recommend for better speed for MC7. The reason they are Raid 1 is because that is how my external Caldigit drive is set up. I can put up to 4 drives in the workstation.

How to set up all the drives to take advantage of media Composer 7.

Also how to set up the CPU or Avid preferences to used the 12 processors properly.

Sorry if my writing is a bit confusing, as that’s how I feel right now but it is time to start with the right foot and also english is my second language.

Please I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Mario

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: How to Optimize a workstation and organized files on media Composer for best performance?
on Sep 14, 2013 at 10:14:38 pm

Media Composer will manage on its own RAM and CPU needs as it goes along. There is no allocation you need to do. I would recommend that all media (video and audio) files go on an external drive, or better yet RAID for performance needs depending on format being used. A fast connection to the CPU would be good too - for example, eSATA over USB2 or FireWire.

Media Composer project and bins are relatively small files and usually live on the C: drive in your example, but you can put that anywhere in the project window with how you want to manage that.

Beyond that, it starts to become personal preferences of how you want to organize all other files related to a project or projects.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mario League
Re: How to Optimize a workstation and organized files on media Composer for best performance?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:25:44 am

Thanks Michael. I do have a caldigit raid with eSata connector.
Thanks.

Mario

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]