FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transatlantic remote editing support during production - on a budget. Any advice gratefully taken!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Hart
Transatlantic remote editing support during production - on a budget. Any advice gratefully taken!
on Sep 11, 2013 at 12:48:07 am

Dear all,
i was hoping you could guide me with a media sharing idea we are trying to refine.

I'll be cutting an low budget indie feature here in the US.
But for the first half of the shoot i have to be in another country.
The director wants me to see a few circle takes from each setup, roughly assemble scenes & check for issues during the shoot.
So we want to try a super low/no budget media sharing solution.

To reduce the amount of media the AE needs to send, I want to have just the a selected one or two circle takes from each setup to do a rough assembly with - to start to see if there are any missing angles/shots, or if eyelines are off, audio problems etc before production wraps each location.

Here is what we were thinking to do - perhaps the cow has some improvments & suggestions?

*Production shoots ProRes4444 on an Alexa

*DIT transcodes to DNxHD36 (applying LUT & folder/tape metadata) ready for use in Media Composer (probably in Resolve)

*AE imports dailies, syncs footage & makes bins in MC

*AE then makes a new bin with just one or two selected takes from each setup for the day (to reduce amount of media being sent) and consolidates to a shared drop box folder, with a copy of the bin.
Hopefully this will be no more than say 12 mins of footage per day - 3Gb at this resolution.
According to this lovely calculator - http://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/video_calc.html
(So hopefully manageable with normal home internet connection & drop box)

*I do a first pass assembly looking out for above problems & report back to set

Would love your input if you have tried this, or have improvements (bearing in mind we have very little money!)

All the best

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
Re: Transatlantic remote editing support during production - on a budget. Any advice gratefully taken!
on Sep 11, 2013 at 3:25:31 pm

Sounds pretty good. I've been remote editing (assistant in another city, shoot in a third) on a few shows now, using both Dropbox, PIX, and a personal FTP site. We were sharing the entire dailies (30-60 GB a day) so were uploading/downloading fulltime. Dropbox (or something in the loop) got very slow at times so we switched to the FTP site. PIX is just more money. As long as you have reasonably fast internet, getting selects should be fine.

I don't like doing consolidations as I hate relinking, so if your AE could just finder copy the media then you both have the exact same stuff, but that's more trouble for him.

Another part of my system uses Chronosync and Slink to keep our harddrives in sync over the internet. We both have a partition/drive called "Dailies" which obviously has dailies on it, and then we each have our own partition for imports and renders. Chronosync is setup to sync each drive in the proper direction.

It's not as good as mediashare and an assistant in the next room, but I get to work at home!

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

currently on a MacBookPro, Media Composer 5.0.3.5

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Transatlantic remote editing support during production - on a budget. Any advice gratefully taken!
on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:27:12 pm

I agree on the consolation and .new clips - Do a reveal file on the master clips and copy those.

Michael

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Sep 15, 2013 at 1:08:55 pm

Thank you Brian & Michael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]