FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making use of background transcoding in MC7 with AMA Link - best practice

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Making use of background transcoding in MC7 with AMA Link - best practice
on Sep 10, 2013 at 10:05:38 am

I've just upgraded to MC7.

The ability to transcode rushes in the background is a big help for me, especially on projects with a tight turnaround.

I want to make the most of this new powerful feature, and have a question about how best to do so.

I don't really like working with AMA files, they tend to make my system sluggish and I also prefer the stability of working with DNXHD. However, for the early stages of an edit where I'm just looking through the rushes/organising/making notes - working with AMA files is generally acceptable. And the ability to start the process right away, as opposed to waiting for a sometimes lengthly transcode process would be a terrific help.

What I'd like to do, is work with the AMA files at this early stage of the process, whilst transcoded them to DnXHD in the background. Once I've gone through the rushes, I can reconnect to the transcoded DnXHD files. What is the best way of reconnecting the AMA files to DnXHD versions? I will want to retain any markers/notes/etc I have made to the AMA files, essentially transferring any of this information to the DnXHD versions and then just working with them as opposed to the AMA versions, which will not be used again in Avid.

Hope that's not too garbled, and makes sense. Please feel free to ask for clarity!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Making use of background transcoding in MC7 with AMA Link - best practice
on Sep 11, 2013 at 8:26:33 am

There are 2 background functions now in MCV7
DMF Dynamic Media Folders and background Transcode/consolidate.

The DMF is a sort of watch folder system that runs even when MC isn't running. DMF can do a number of functions including making copies of source files, Transcoding/consolidating and mounting the results in new bins. However you can't work with selects only complete source media files. Also not all AMA plugins are supported in DMF yet and the interface isn't the easiest thing to get to grips with.

The second process, and the one best suited for you Adam, is the regular background Transcode/Consolidate.
Here you AMA link, Make selects (sub clips) then Transcode in the background.

Also due out soon is MCV7.0.2 which introduces some neat AMA changes.
You will now have the ability to create your AMA bins as part of the DMF process based on selectable fields in the AMA metadata. ie reporter name could be used as a bin name creation variable.

I teach a course for VET http://www.vet.co.uk/site/Training/Scheduled_courses/Avid_Media_Management_...
That currently deals with Avid AMA for V6 and earlier but we will be updating that for V7 in the next few months.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Sep 12, 2013 at 11:57:09 am

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Pat. Greatly appreciate your insight.

I will certainly go the AMA-Selects-Transcode route next time around.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:47:02 pm

Depending on your computer you may see as much as a 5 times speed improvement in AMA link and transcode compared to regular import and the conform from imports is a dog....

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]