FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not sure if I can update or upgrade my system from MC6.0.1 to MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Convery
Not sure if I can update or upgrade my system from MC6.0.1 to MC7
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:19:57 pm

I have Mac Pro (Mid 2012) with a 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon processor.
I am unsure how this is different from Quad Core Xeon processor listed as minimum system requirement for MC7. I have looked around online and not finding information that answers this question directly and do not want to make the change if my machine can't handle it.

I am still working with SD footage, digital and analog tape so I do not have the same requirements that most will have for various HD formats. The primary reason I am considering the upgrade is that I had another editor with MC7 work on a trailer for me, and we realized that my system could not open her files.

Another post on this forum indicated I could update to 6.0.4 and be able to open MC7 bins, but when I looked at the hefty ReadMe pdf for the update, my system did not seem to meet those system requirements (2.66 vs my 2.4GHz).

I guess the question is could I still get away with my less powerful processor if I am using SD material?

thanks to anyone for input.

Sara

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Not sure if I can update or upgrade my system from MC6.0.1 to MC7
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:06:05 pm

While those are recommended test configurations, many times it is a "your mileage may vary" in certain areas. If you are already on 6.0.x, then moving to a point release in the same 6.o.x cycle should be fine. I am running v7 on a 2011 MacBook Pro and while background transcode and DMF might be iffy, everything else is fine.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sara Convery
Re: Not sure if I can update or upgrade my system from MC6.0.1 to MC7
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:09:24 pm

thanks Michael. makes sense. since I would have to do full uninstall just to go to 6.0.4, I think I might just go to 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]