FORUMS: list search recent posts

FX Pan & Zoom using a composition as source, not an external graphic nor the host timeline ???

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
FX Pan & Zoom using a composition as source, not an external graphic nor the host timeline ???
on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:15:12 am

The goal is to pan & zoom on an FX animated effects composition.

Is using an FX composition as a source for FX Pan & Zoom possible?

Pan & Zoom normally gives two options: external file or timeline media. But zooming on timeline (1080) media quickly looses resolution and an external graphic avoids this issue as that image has higher res but is static.

Work-around?
(I don't see another FX pan or zoom filter besides P&Z.)

Surely there is a way, keeping both resolution and animation effects.

Must be a technique here staring at me but I don't find it.

Thanks, guys.
Mike

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: FX Pan & Zoom using a composition as source, not an external graphic nor the host timeline ???
on Sep 8, 2013 at 2:38:18 pm

Frame Flex in MC7 will allow you to pan and zoom on an AMA linked QuickTime animation. Will that do what you want?

Otherwise, you are stuck in a 1080 universe. Avid is not resolution independent, other than the new frame flex feature.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: FX Pan & Zoom using a composition as source, not an external graphic nor the host timeline ???
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:33:50 am

Perhaps. Thank you. FX exports to mov but seems to be standard 1080.

Also experimenting with the potential of the mask layer within P&Z.

Some success. Lots to learn in FX.

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:28:04 am

Not quite sure what you are trying to do...but if you render out something in After Effects that is larger than 1080, you can link to it via Frame Flex and retain its resolution for panning and zooming.

If you need to work in a resolution higher than 1080 or export something larger than 1080, Avid is not the program for you. HD is all it can do.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:24:09 am

Yes, that clarifies it nicely: AE is used so widely for good reason, resolution options being one which I didn't know about.

Thank you, John.

FWIW, I did find some documentation on AE compositing which I found to be well written and it went into greater depth on the various aspects, which bests Boris' documentation, IMHO -- while Boris does have very helpful libraries of video tutorials.

For someone trying to learn, documentation of various kinds -- tutorials, user guides, reference manuals, cook books, video show-and-tell -- each has their particular benefit.

So it is worth exploring AE just -- yes, just -- for the quality and quantity of documentation. And now it is subscription-based, so short-term use is reasonable.

Thanks again, John.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]