MacBook Pro with external monitor, thinking about adding a client monitor

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Garza
MacBook Pro with external monitor, thinking about adding a client monitor
on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:57:09 am

Hi,

Here's my current set up:

MacBook Pro (non retina) using a thunderbolt to display port adaptor (Gigaware adaptor - thunderbolt to DP/HDMI), my external monitor is an Auria 27" ISP.

While editing (Avid 6.5), if I wanted to output what I'm working on to a client monitor (3rd monitor), what is the best route to go about this? I/O breakout box?

I'd like to maintain my current setup: MacBook Pro>2nd display monitor + add client monitor for video output from Avid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MacBook Pro with external monitor, thinking about adding a client monitor
on Sep 8, 2013 at 6:16:26 pm

For client monitoring, it's best to have a video IO device. One that works great, and isn't expensive, is the Decklink Ultra Studio Mini-monitor which is $149...connects via thunderbolt and has HDMI and DVI out. Then to connect your second monitor, you can get a USB-DVI adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158301

Or...you can get an IO device that has Thunderbolt loop through, the AJA IoXT is $999, and is the only IO device that has that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Diego Garza
on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:04:51 pm

Thanks Shane!

My only issue now is that I can only get the resolution on my 27" ISP monitor at 2560x1440 using a Thunderbolt to Display Port adaptor. So would I then I have to get a Thunderbolt splitter adaptor first, then one going to breakout box (say I get the decklink mini monitor) and the other thunderbolt going to the Display Port adaptor?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:13:49 pm

If you use the Decklink via thunderbolt, then you cannot use that path for a second computer display. Splitters won't work. You either need an IO device with TB loop through, or use the USB to DVI adapter (or USB to however that monitor connects).

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Diego Garza
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:47:13 pm

Hmmm, gotcha. Thanks again, Shane. If i go with the decklink then perhaps I can use this for my Auria:

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable-JU-DP0011-S1/dp/B009JP...

I'll keep reading/researching.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:53:23 pm

Ah...I see why, your monitor has a Display port connection. Sorry. Yeah, that could work. No experience with it, so I cannot say for sure.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Diego Garza
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:08:58 pm

Yeah, my monitor does have HDMI, vga, display port and a few others options, but for some reason I can only get the max resolution by using Thunderbolt to display port, hence my concern with only having one ThB slot open. but since you mentioned usb to>> monitor, i did find that usb3 to display port.

Thanks -

diego

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]