FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aux TC on Audio Channel - No TC Found

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam atkinson
Aux TC on Audio Channel - No TC Found
on Aug 29, 2013 at 8:45:08 pm

We have a project coming in that will have Arri Timecode and we will need to post sync eight tracks of audio. We will be capturing on ProRes so a FCP solution for reading Aux TC on an audio channel would be idea, however the one product that I've found from Video Toolshed hasn't been able to read the timecode, so I thought I'd use the Avid which I know has been able to do this.

I tested the signal by sending it to two decks, both of which were able to regen the external timecode generated by the Aaton just fine. I then patched that tc to channel 2 of the deck and put the deck in EE and captured on the Avid.

I can see the waveform on the timeline and hear the tc on ch. 2. I select the clip and then 'Special - Read Audio Timecode' from the menu and Avid gives me an error telling me there is no tc at the beginning of the clip (there is) before going on to tell me that there is no tc on the clip at all.

I've checked the levels on the timecode and lowered them twice just in case....it made no difference.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Aux TC on Audio Channel - No TC Found
on Aug 30, 2013 at 1:22:42 am

I take it the camera itself cannot jam sync? Seeing the word Arri and all, I had to ask.

That being said, try subclipping the clip and try again. Is the signal overmodulated in any way? Have you seen this related post on RedUser?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?102245-Unable-to-Read-Audio-Tim...

Michael

Return to posts index

sam atkinson
on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:33:51 pm

Thanks. I've seen the post but it's not quite the same. The Arri film camera burns the tc on the edge of the film. Our Aaton reads that tc and normally the audio would be in the system and chase that tc, however we are dealing with 8 tracks and our system supports only 4 channels so we must post sync.

In theory i can put the Arricode on Ch.2 and capture that in Avid then have Avid read the timecode from ch.2 and put in the the Aux TC 1 column then auto sync. Avid isn't reading that timecode though.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 30, 2013 at 11:17:20 pm

In film based workflows, during the transfer, there should be a transfer log made that puts the timecode into an ALE file that is used to import and batch capture or merge into existing file based transfers. Then that timecode would match the BWF files use on set. Is this not a workflow that would work for you?

Michael

Return to posts index

sam atkinson
on Sep 1, 2013 at 1:28:02 am

Thanks for the suggestion. That will probably work. It's been a good 15 years since I last had to do that and I'd forgotten all about it, but I think you are right.

Return to posts index

sam atkinson
on Aug 30, 2013 at 11:00:51 pm

Update: I considered that there may be something odd with the tc coming out of the Aaton so I put tc from the SR deck on ch. 2 and and tried to capture that. I can hear it and see it on the waveform but when I go to the Special menu and select Read Audio Timecode I get an error saying there is no tc on the audio track.

btw, this is 23.98 timecode and project is set up as 23.98 as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 31, 2013 at 12:24:50 pm

I have to ask again... no ALE file from the Keylinker? there is a mode that will detect the timecode breaks and create an even with the timeecode from the film edge, the KeyKode and the video/file being created.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]