FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uprez 480p to 1080p

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Uprez 480p to 1080p
on Aug 27, 2013 at 10:36:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a video that was shot in 1080p (1920x1080). I now need to add 5 sd clips (720x480), about 5 seconds in length, to this piece. Originally I was just going to import them and have them stay square and do graphics on the sides but was informed that was unacceptable. I assured the client he would definitely notice bad quality if I scale it up to 1080 but they insist. So, now I need the best way of uprezzing the 480p footage to 1080p. I already tried just letting avid do it naturally but some stuff is pretty rough, and I could use a hand at getting the best uprez possible. I obviously understand the limitations of the footage but any advice on getting the cleanest uprez would be great. I have avid symphony 6.0, a matrox mxo2 mini MAX and a blackmagic intensity at my disposal. What should I do?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Uprez 480p to 1080p
on Aug 27, 2013 at 10:45:14 pm

If you had tapes, I'd say capture them through the Matrox MXO2, and have it set to upscale. But if they are already just video clips, you can't use that hardware at all.

Best way to do this is take it to a facility that had a Terranex.

Second best, upscale via capture card...Kona 3 is best, Matrox MXO2 is a close second (BMD does software upscale, not that great).

If you have access to Adobe Premiere CS6, or the Creative Cloud...that does an AMAZING upscale. Used it on a feature doc and broadcast show for MSNBC. Better than After Effects CS6 or CC. But After Effects CS5.5 will do a decent job too.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:19:33 am

Hey Shane,

I have Premiere CS6 what are the steps to do the uprez?

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Aug 28, 2013 at 3:08:55 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your help. I found a way to do it and honestly the avid pull looked cleaner.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 28, 2013 at 5:15:41 pm

Cool.

I used CS6 and it worked great...better than Avid's upscale...at least in my experience.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Aug 29, 2013 at 1:26:53 am

Terry, what did you do in Avid that looked better?

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:58:09 pm

If you have BCC on your Symphony (should have come with it), there is the BCC UpRez filter, which gives you a lot of upscaling control.

Import the shot without upscaling it (Do Not Resize Smaller Images). The shot will look like a horizontally distorted almost-square picture inside a black canvas (picture-in-picture). Add BCC UpRez (Image Restoration section, IIRC). Set the source to SD non-square, destination to HDTV square, experiment with Magic Smooth and Magic Sharp settings under Quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]