FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Editing workstation 2013 - where to go?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Metz
Mac Editing workstation 2013 - where to go?
on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:44:19 pm

Hi there,

I still have an old MacPro with a BMD Decklink card and a newer MacPro with a BMD Decklink 3D card. Both have esata raid systems and, as said, one is an old guy that needs to be replaced.
Looking at the available Apple products and possible components I have no real idea where to go now.
One way could be iMac 27" with thunderbolt BMD ultra studio express and a thunderbolt raid. But that raid thing is one of a problem. I don´t want a two drive raid. A four drive solution would be nice, but I do only see Promise. From my point of view Raid 5 is key.
Waiting for the new MacPro? We don´t know when it comes and how much it´ll be - at least the price of the largest iMac. And even then: which external I/O, raid, etc.?
MacMini? MacBook Pro? :-O
Another thing: clients. I have clients sitting in the editing booths - you don´t want to have clients looking on a MacBook :-E

Which hardware solutions (in these "wonderful" thunderbolt times) do you think of?

Regards
Rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Mac Editing workstation 2013 - where to go?
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:22:48 pm

I would say wait till the new MacPro hits the market and see what the lineup looks like from there. Then depending on your budget and needs, decided between an iMac and or the MacPro for desktop systems. Seeing as Thunderbolt is the new connectivity to everything, the MacPro has 3 buses (6 connections) versus iMac's 2.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]