FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Camera DNxHD files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Lewis
Blackmagic Camera DNxHD files
on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:35:17 pm

I am going to be shooting with the Blackmagic cinema camera which shoots DNxHD. However, after reading some forums, i came across this snippet about the dnxhd media created by the BMCC:
"Annoyingly, it's RGB wrapped in QuickTime, not MXF- so it has to be AMA'd or consolidated into avid."

Can you help me understand this? When I have the SSD docked with the computer, what are the steps I need to take to get the footage off the ssd and then placed in the Avid MediaFiles folder so everything is ready to edit?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Blackmagic Camera DNxHD files
on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:51:06 pm

You use the QuckTime AMA to get direct access and from there you can select all and do a consolidate. It is as fast as a copy. If on v7, be sure to turn off alpha in import settings.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:56:09 pm

And then once you do that...or even BEFORE You do that...backup the camera masters to an archive drive. Don't AMA/Consolidate, and then erase the originals. Keep the originals...back them up to either DLT or LTO tape, or 2 hard drives (because hard drives fail).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:48:33 pm

YES! Sorry I assumed that part of the process was taken care of, but it is imperative to have proper archiving of camera originals. Always a good reminder.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:50:56 pm

I never assume that anymore. Too many people don't do that...scares me how many don't. Not that you don't, Stephen, but I always err on the side of caution.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephen Lewis
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:48:49 am

Thanks for the help!!

About the alpha import settings, is that in the Media Creation settings?

And yes, I'll be vigilant about backing up footage on an external drive before editing.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:51:02 am

Alpha setting s in the import settings for image.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]