FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing on multiple stacked tracks?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lawson
Editing on multiple stacked tracks?
on Aug 18, 2013 at 7:27:57 pm

I'm sure this is a phenomenally stupid question but after hours of tutorials on youtube I'm not sure what to do, what tiny button I've failed to hit or blinked past. I was trained to edit on Final Cut Pro and got roped into using Media Composer 6 for a job and am struggling to adjust.

In FC, you could drag and drop different clips to different levels so that you could take the audio from one clip and play it over video from another, but I can't figure this out in AMC. I've tried a multitude of settings and right clicks but all it does is cram every clip onto the same level and overwrite them and knock them out of time instead of doing a video hierarchy. It won't seem to let me put clips on different levels at all. Help?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing on multiple stacked tracks?
on Aug 18, 2013 at 8:09:38 pm

Press CMD-Y to make a new video layer. Then you can target the higher track and Overwrite edit, or drag the video you want up there. CMD-U makes a new audio track.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Lawson
on Aug 18, 2013 at 11:41:22 pm

I've done this, and I've also opened new timelines with more layers, and it's still not working. Or I'm just not getting it, which is entirely possible. When I try put something on a different layer than the one any given clip pops up in automatically, it either merges into the same one or it sets the video in another layer but then the audio track for it just does the same thing and screws up the existing layer.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:16:11 am

I guess I have no idea what you are describing. I've re-read it a few times...I'm not understanding.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Wiener
on Aug 19, 2013 at 1:14:27 pm

Make sure your inputs are linked to the tracks you want your selection to go to

Return to posts index

Chris Lawson
on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:19:42 am

How do I do this?

Return to posts index

Dennis Wiener
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:31:45 am

You need to patch the input to the desired track. On the left side of the timeline you'll see V1, A1, A2. The VI input normally sits next to the V1 track. When you click and drag on it a white arrow will appear and you can move the input to whatever video track you like. If track V1 is selected the edit will take place on V1. If you move the input to V2, the edit will now take place on V2. If you don't want other tracks effected by the edit you need to deselect those tracks. Do a search on track patching in the help file, they do a better job explaining this than I can.

Return to posts index

Chris Lawson
on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:20:12 pm

Thanks. I'll give this a shot, and I think searching will be easier now that I know the correct terminology.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]