FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for two users on externals

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Viljoen
Best workflow for two users on externals
on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:06:23 pm

I'm receiving dailies and need to come up with the optimal workflow for two users working remotely without our ISIS. They'll have identical media on external drives.

This sort of situation is unusual to me as I'm used to working in a shared environment. I was going to take the drive, transcode to DNX36 and put it in one drive for each editor, and keep the original drive for online.

Can I transcode in Avid, and have the DNx36 go to two drives? Then I can keep the original drive with the full res (I'm still not sure what cam) for relink.

This is for a 10 minute documentary. I've also thought of just transcoding in Sorenson and copying it over, but then I'd have to overcut once they reach picture lock for the online.

Also, when you have two editors working in separate locations, what's the best way to swap sequences/projects? Thanks so much guys

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best workflow for two users on externals
on Aug 17, 2013 at 1:22:14 pm

You can't transcode to two different destinations at the same time. But you can do it to one destination, look at the creation date in the Media Files folder, and copy to the second drive.

from there you can open project and bins on each system and the media will link. You need to just manage bin naming when the bins are sent back so they don't overwrite each other when put back into the master project.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
Re: Best workflow for two users on externals
on Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36:48 pm

Thanks michael, I was hoping to save some time with the transfer but I'll just do it the old fashioned way as you suggest.

Has anyone developed a discipline for this kind of workflow between editors? I'm trying to think of a naming system that will prevent any problems with bins and project files.

Thanks Michael as always you're very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]