FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-Select Source Audio Tracks???? Very Frustrated!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carson Smucker
De-Select Source Audio Tracks???? Very Frustrated!
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:40:46 pm

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am painstakingly making the switch from FCP7 to Avid Media Composer 7 and there is one thing that is really bothering me. I am working on a music video type piece where the main music track is laid down first and all the other tracks I bring in are almost exclusively video. In FCP I could unlink the audio tracks and simply drag my video down and into the timeline without a hitch. Avid seems to want to re-select 4 tracks in my timeline every time I open a clip from a bin into the source monitor, which means I have to de-select them every time before I simply insert my video without audio. This is driving me absolutely crazy but I can't seem to figure out how to deselect source audio tracks and make it last. There has GOT to be something I'm missing, right?

I've gone to Composer settings and unchecked the "Auto-enable Source tracks which helps with clips I've already selected but still doesn't solve the problem. Someone please help!

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: De-Select Source Audio Tracks???? Very Frustrated!
on Aug 17, 2013 at 4:34:30 pm

I would've thought that the timeline should obey the selection (as it does when you edit from source to record) and thus if the destination tracks were not selected then they wouldn't be overwritten. This doesn't seem to be the case.

My next step was to lock the audio tracks so they wouldn't be overwritten. That doesn't work either... (prevents you from overwriting / inserting anything).

Like most old-school avid editors I don't normally drag and drop, but I absolutely agree that this behaviour is infuriating if you do.

I'd recommend a visit to community.avid.com and make your enquiry there... greater minds may know workarounds or you can make a feature request there.

In the meantime get to love the mnemonic keyboard shortcuts for editing from source to record - Vinsert and Boverwrite. (or just map them to F9 and F10 like in FCP).

If you enable edit from bin then you can use the shortcuts from the bin window direct to the timeline (only in text view though, not script unfortunately)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]