FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC7 AAF imported to Premiere CC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
August Anderson
Avid MC7 AAF imported to Premiere CC
on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:14:18 pm

tl;dr - Trying to export AAF from Avid MC7, and into Adobe Premiere CC using AMA'd footage, but sequences are blank.

I'm well familiar with AAF'n things outta Avid and into either FCP, Premiere, or After Effects. I upgraded to Avid v7 and I use Creative Cloud.

I have a sequence in Avid that contains AMA footage (relinked from my offline material). The source material that I'm AMAing to ProRes4444. Everything is relinked. I export with the right settings (I've tried with and without Edit Protocol, and the correct tracks are enabled). When I try to import the AAF into Premiere, it's gives me an empty sequence with a trillion markers denoting that "[Generic] clip was dropped because no related footage was found."

I've been trying to resolve this for the last few hours, but with no success. I've tried it with tape names, with source file names, checked to make sure my AMA footage has a source path. I've tried it in After Effects as well, same results (unsurprisingly). I've also re-imported the AAF back into Avid successfully. So I know the AAF works on some level.

My concern is that Avid monkeyed the AAF content around and it's no longer compatible with some other applications.

Has anyone tried this yet?

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid MC7 AAF imported to Premiere CC
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:39:39 am

I use AAF with Edit Protocol to reference camera originals (linked via AMA) in Resolve with no real issues. Do you get the same issues if you were to transcode to DNxHD on a small test to see if that works?

Michael

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:41:53 am

Interesting, so the issue might be with Premiere's interpretation.

All DNX media was connecting fine. Just not AMA.

August Anderson

• 

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:48:06 am

As with an file format, it takes two to tango.

Michael

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Jun 9, 2014 at 9:36:36 pm

How embarrassing, this is still broken.

August Anderson

• 

Return to posts index

David Scharf
on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:16:19 am

Did you ever solve this? I'm using MC 8 (latest version) and Premiere (latest version) and having the same exact problem trying to bring an AMA-linked AAF (linked to Alexa ProRes) into Premiere. There were a few clips shot on C300 and those seem to carry over, but not the Alexa-based stuff.

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:38:31 am

wow, that was so incredibly random. I've been up all night trying to figure out a workaround to this problem. What a coincidence. I haven't had to think about it in months.

I was entertaining the idea of using Resolve as an intermediate. So
Raw --> Resolve --> MXF --> Avid.
then
Avid --> Resolve --> New AAF --> Premiere.

Haven't tried it yet, though. Going to run more tests in the morning.

August Anderson

• 

Return to posts index

David Scharf
on Sep 7, 2014 at 7:10:41 am

any luck on this? Going out of my mind trying to work this out. A process that should be so simple is so confusing.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wise
on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:42:31 pm

I got it to work by exporting an AAF from Avid. Importing that AAF into Resolve. Exporting an XML from resolve and then importing that XML into premiere.

Convoluted, yes. But the whole experience took less than 5 minuets.
The only thing that didn't relink for me was freeze frames. Title media linked, but came in bundled, one on top of the other as a nested sequence. Annoying, but easy to fix.

If you have none of the above in your sequence, everything should link like clockwork.

Hope this workflow works for you.

Return to posts index

Viplav Nyshadam
on Apr 18, 2015 at 6:07:28 am

Thanks a lot...that's working

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Jul 18, 2015 at 5:26:03 am

Nice, I just happened to carry out this same workflow myself (before seeing this thread). Resolve is definitely a useful middleman conform tool in this case. It "speaks" both AAF and XML, and speaks AAF better than Premiere.

Return to posts index

Drigan Lee
on Feb 26, 2016 at 5:21:37 am

Wow, great find. Thank you thank you. You just saved me from blowing a commercial deadline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]