FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup and Archiving

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Backup and Archiving
on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:34:39 pm

Hi,

Im looking for the best solution for backing up my projects.
What is your best approach?

Sometimes I need to archive all the project files, but I mostly need to make a backup of the finished sequence and clean versions.

For now I have stored all the material on external disks and made same as source copies of the master sequence (also clean versions) together with a project file copy.

I know that there are some third party solutions for this as Marquis, but I dont know if I need to incorporate other softwares in the workflow.

Stig

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Backup and Archiving
on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:00:48 pm

I simply take the final sequence, and Consolidate it to an external drive. And then archive the entire project there as well. I have the bin that is the consolidated cut, and keep all the other bins just in case we need to recapture anything.

I keep a copy of that project on my self, and give the client a copy as well...adding it to their bill.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:07:09 pm

I'm sure it's assumed, but all external graphics files, and camera/audio originals are also backed up. You seem to have the other assets all taken care of. When it comes to backup and archive it becomes a decision of short term, mid-term and long term storage. I don't really trust long term storage to local drives. I assume those are my short term solution (3 years max with some TLC every 6 months) and those are double copies in two different locations. For longer than that, I make an LTO backup. For a mix of long term is Amazon's Glacier. Their redundancy and maintenance is awesome so there is no maintenance on my end. There are several GUI's out there for accessing the archive such as:
http://www.cloudberrylab.com/ppc/new/backup-to-amazon-s3.html?gclid=CKWc-P3...

And the cost is reasonable on a per program basis. For example, a feature I did all mastered as DNxHD 175, and all audio deliverables, project, trailers, is under 150GB. For that price, it is $0.15/month. It is more expensive to retrieve (like 10x factor), but still quite cheap when pulling from the Glacier archive is really because the drive and the LTO are destroyed.

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 17, 2013 at 2:38:21 pm

Disclaimer: I offer archiving and IT services.

I make an LTO backup

Yes,

Please Please Please, do NOT rely on spinning disks. If you use hard drives in the short term you should have the files in at least three places, one of which is in a location separate from your editing computer. The Academy and others have white papers on proper archiving and the procedures of some film libraries.

I am surprised that some folks that a notalentwannabe like myself looks to for guidance are not on top of this issue. We stand to loose many movies.

Sincerely,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]