FORUMS: list search recent posts

can avid ingest .mxf without file structure?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cole
can avid ingest .mxf without file structure?
on Aug 11, 2013 at 2:50:59 pm

Hi.
I rescued a cf card that was corrupted. But all I retrieved was the .mxf files without the camera's usual file structure (Canon C300).

1. Will an editor be able to ingest the lone .mxf files into his Avid? Does avid need the other files in the file structure to work?

Currently, I get useable playback on VLC, but I'm concerned my editor might struggle with the lone .mxf files without their concomitant structure of folders and files.

More specifically, I'm wondering if I should transcode the mostly useable .mxf files into a format that might be friendlier to an Avid (since the folder structure and .cif, .cpf, .xml, & .sif aren't accompanying the .mxf files) - if this is the case, which transcode software do you recommend (and if possible, what are the best settings to generate the least loss).

Of course, my big wish here is that since I have .mxf files that are playing on VLC, Avid shouldn't have any trouble ingesting them into their system.

I'd really appreciate knowing the answer to this/these question/s before I bring this to an editor because if there's a workaround, I'd prefer to perform it mysef rather than waste the editor's time.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: can avid ingest .mxf without file structure?
on Aug 11, 2013 at 3:43:04 pm

Windows or Mac? Calibrated Q MXF might be able to import directly on a mac. Windows version is for viewing only i believe.

Pretty sure with C300 you need the structure. I guess another question would be "how can the structure
be rebuilt?"

I would also try to load the shots in Resolve. If it sees them, then you could reoutput mxf with an AAF, and he should be able to go from there.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:00:21 pm

Have you tried the MXF AMA Plug-in? I used to get some Canon files in that way by linking directly to the MXF files themselves.

Michael

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:23:24 pm

If the clips were shot with the xdcam codec you should be able to simply import the .mxf files. Works even without the structure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]