FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Shift

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Color Shift
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:00:55 am

Working again with NINJA1 DNxHD clips that I AMA'd and consolidated into MC7 (thanks, Peter for help with that!).

I notice a big color shift when I bring them into AVID, either through AMA or through consolidate.
The color is a lot more flat in AVID than when I play the clip in Quicktime.

I would love to keep the same color/gamma that the original has, to avoid a lot of color correcting, just to get it back to where it is. Is there something in the AMA or consolidating process that can better preserve the original color?

Thanks again!!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Shift
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:14:28 am

The Program and Preview monitors in Avid are NOT color accurate...not by any stretch of the imagination. They in fact, wash out the image. They are not designed to be color accurate. If you want color accuracy, then you need to get a video IO card or device (AJA, Blackmagic Design, Matrox) and play out to a broadcast monitor or HDTV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:19:11 am

Thanks, Shane, for your reply.
I understand that I can't expect anything near broadcast color accuracy on a computer monitor.
With that in mind, is there any way it can be tweaked to be a bit closer to the quicktime player's look without the dedicated broadcast monitor and card?

Is there a reason why AVID's monitors wash out the image, compared to, say, FCP or Premiere?

And one more question about this: Is the color shift only in the display, or does AVID render the color of the clip, itself, differently when it links/transcodes/consolidates?

Thanks,
Dan S.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:30:47 pm

hmmm...
You know, if you go to the bin where your AMA files reside, right click on the linked file icon, then select "Source Settings" from the menu dropdown. When the Source Settings window opens you will be presented with a number of color selections. Feel free to play with these, but, typically, you want to select either "Full Range" or "Broadcast Range" depending on what the color range of your source footage is.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2013 at 4:27:02 pm

[Daniel Schultz] "With that in mind, is there any way it can be tweaked to be a bit closer to the quicktime player's look without the dedicated broadcast monitor and card?"

Not that I'm aware of. It's not designed to work like that.

[Daniel Schultz] "Is there a reason why AVID's monitors wash out the image, compared to, say, FCP or Premiere?"

I'd only be guessing, but so that we can see into the shadows, make sure we see everything. Avid's main function initially was as an OFFLINE quality editor. Just edit until you have picture lock, and then send the edit decision list to a negative cutter, or tape operator that assembled the show. Later on, it became an online editor, finishing quality, but still relied on judging that quality on an external monitor. It still is that way.

FCP 7 and earlier? Same issue with their interface...it isn't color accurate, even when you export and play back on the computer displays. It's CLOSER than Avid...but not accurate.

[Daniel Schultz] "And one more question about this: Is the color shift only in the display, or does AVID render the color of the clip, itself, differently when it links/transcodes/consolidates?"

It's only in the Avid interface...the program and preview monitor. Because an accurate image is sent out to TVs or Broadcast monitors via the video IO. And you can get the BMD Ultrastudio Mini Monitor that connects via Thunderbolt and outputs HDMI for $150. It's not expensive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:18:23 am

Thanks, Shane, for all your information and help!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]