FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidating from NINJA2 Problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Consolidating from NINJA2 Problem
on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16:38 pm

Trying to consolidate DNxHD clips that came out of the NINJA2.

Here's what I did:
• Link the clips to AMA in a separate bin
• Click on "Consolidate/Transcode"
• Choose Consolidate, pick the target drive
• Click the Consolidate button

Then on the popup I choose "Keep Master clips linked to the media on the original drive"

Then when I consolidated the one test file, it made the original the "old" file, and the new file in the bin kept the original name.

But...

The new clip still had the AMA linked icon, and I couldn't find a new MXF file in the AvidMedia files folder on the media drive. So it looks like it didn't really do what it was supposed to do?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Consolidating from NINJA2 Problem
on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:37:22 pm

I highlight all AMA linked clips and select transcode. When completed, with the AMA linked files still highlighted/selected I simply hit delete and confirm I want to delete the master clips (these are the AMA linked clips - note you are not deleting any media, only the linked files which you no longer want linked since you have MXF media associated with the .new files.

When you are consolidating, you are doing basically the same thing - you will have the MXF files online and you will have the AMA linked files (still online and indicated as AMA by the icon) - just delete the AMA linked clips from the bin.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:10:26 pm

Check your Console for details. Sometimes Avid thinks a clip has a different frame rate then it does and so it thinks it can't consolidate the clip. I find this happens at times with footage that comes from a Sound Devices recorder, but I haven't tests the ninjas (Atmos right?) so i'm not 100% sure that's the case. if this is the case it should say something to the effect can't consolidate mixed rate footage, in the console. and if it does then you will need to transcode and not consolidate.

When you consolidate and select keep master linked then your new consolidated clips should appear in the same bin as your AMA clips but with a .New added to the name. if you select the opposite of keep master linked ( I can't remember exactly what its called) then your new consolidated clips will retain the file name and the AMA clips with have a .Old added to the end of the name.

Either way you will have two clips in the bin one that is still a AMA clip (which will have the AMA Icon and a new clip that will not have the AMA Icon)

[Ricky Barrow] "When you are consolidating, you are doing basically the same thing - you will have the MXF files online and you will have the AMA linked files (still online and indicated as AMA by the icon) - just delete the AMA linked clips from the bin."

Not necessarily when you transcode you are telling avid that this is all new media and it loses all relationship data keeping the AMA clip and a consolidated clip. so you can't do things like batch import and so forth.(not the end of the world) Also when you are consolidated you are just moving a copy of the file and re wrapping the file extension to a MXF OP-Atom in to the avid media files structure. So the time it takes is just about the same amount as it would to copy and paste a file. Where is transcoding is making a complete new file so it will take longer granted not a ton longer (depending you system specs and what not).

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:00:03 pm

[Daniel Schultz] "The new clip still had the AMA linked icon, and I couldn't find a new MXF file in the AvidMedia files folder on the media drive. So it looks like it didn't really do what it was supposed to do?
"

You have "skip media on target drive" selected, and your Ninja files are on the same drive as your Avid MediaFiles folder.

De-select that and your Consolidate will allow MXF media to be written.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:41:55 am

Bingo, John Pale!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:54:17 am

Did the same thing last week.