FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Canon Footage Into Avid 3.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Maria
Importing Canon Footage Into Avid 3.5
on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19:51 am

Hello,

I have a ton of footage shot on the 5D and 7D to import into Avid 3.5 (no AMA).

Does anyone has tips to improve the import proccess? It's taking me hours.

Maybe taking the footage into Encoder and transcode it into DNxHD? (The codec I'm using)

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Importing Canon Footage Into Avid 3.5
on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:14:35 pm

This will probably work for you:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/69/avidmxfcreator

Converts your footage directly to Avid MXF files, and you can run it on any system (don't have to have Avid installed).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:36:44 pm

Michaels suggestion will work. It's not a free product, but its good to have in your toolbox.

Other options..

1) download the trial of Avid MC 7. Trial is fully functional for thirty days, if you have a machine capable of running it. Recent versions of Avid use AMA for this. You link to the camera media, then transcode. The transcode is 5 times faster than straight import. I would do this on another machine and move the media and bins to your older Avid...don't recommend trying to install 2 versions of Avid on the same computer.

2) You mention you have access to Encoder (I assume you mean Adobe Media Encoder). If you have the Avid QuickTime package installed, you can encode to Avid DNXHD...you'll have to make your own custom preset. these Avid QuickTime files will fast import.

Straight import is very slow and your footage will have incorrect gamma on that old version of Avid. They fixed this around v5.5.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Maria
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:05:54 pm

Tried the Encoder solution. It sped up the import, but a 2 GB file turned into a 14 GB one... So it's not a perfect solution...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 1, 2013 at 11:09:18 pm

[Ricardo Maria] "Tried the Encoder solution. It sped up the import, but a 2 GB file turned into a 14 GB one... So it's not a perfect solution...
"

Thats normal. If you want to edit with DSLR footage, you need to make Avid codec files. They are all I-frame, higher bit rate files and will be much larger.

If you want to edit with the files natively, at smaller file sizes, you need to work in Premiere Pro or FCPX. They actually have decent performance with DSLR footage natively.

New versions of Avid will allow you to edit, in a somewhat limited way, with the footage natively...no transcoding...by linking with AMA. You need a fast system to get anywhere near acceptable performance...and I would not try it on a large project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]