FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding DNxHD 444 350 X to DNx36

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leigh Dodson
Transcoding DNxHD 444 350 X to DNx36
on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:51:28 pm

I have been working on a project directly cutting DNxHD 444 350 X (HD1080p) files. These files have been imported (originally ProRes shot on Alexa), not liked to AMA, so each has MXF files.

Now I need to switch from ISIS to my laptop and I need the files to be smaller and more manageable- I want to transcode them into DNx36, which my laptop can handle without dropping frames as it does with the larger DNx 444 files. When I try transcoding sequences or clips in my bin (right click; transcode/compress) the only options available in Target Video Resolution are DNxHD 444 350 X MXF, 1:1 10b RGB MXF, and Apple ProRes 4444 MXF. These are all too big.

I need to transcode these files through Avid, because I do not want to lose the work I have done and sequences I have created. I will also need to revert back to the larger files during online before I output.

Any advice is appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Transcoding DNxHD 444 350 X to DNx36
on Jul 31, 2013 at 9:50:40 pm

Change your project settings to a non RGB setting. If you are in an RGB project, you will only see codec options for RGB work.

In the format tab, change to 709.

Return to posts index

Leigh Dodson
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:44:03 am

Thank you,
I have successfully transcoded clips into DNx36 which play on my laptop beautifully. Now I am ready to continue cutting with these new files, but I am wondering how I will link my sequences back to the larger, pre-transcoding DNx 444 media files when I am ready to online. Other than match-framing every clip and re assembling my whole movie piece by piece with the larger res files, I cannot think of how to revert back to them. All of the research on online-offline work flow includes the step of linking to AMA before transcoding. Since my files were already imported and I transcoded directly from the large MXF files in my bins and sequences, there are no AMA files with which to re link.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Aug 1, 2013 at 6:28:38 am

Are your DNx 350 X files your finishing resolution? Or are you going back to the original Alexa Prores? If it's the DNx 350 files then you simply just hide your offline media (DNx 36) and relink back to the DNx 350. No match framing involved. You should have these two resolutions in two different locations Avid Mediafiles folders, and not mounted at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]