FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Conversion of Large Files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jasmine raphael
File Conversion of Large Files
on Jul 28, 2013 at 2:47:19 am

Hello, I am exporting a .mov file from Avid however it is more than 2GB. I need to convert the file to an M4V, however the only conversion software I've found is for .mov files that are 1GB or less (zamzar).

1) Do you know a way to export a .mov file from Avid of the assembly and make it less than 1 GB
OR
2) Do you know a way to convert a .mov file to a m4v file when the .mov file is larger than 1GB

NOTE: The original Avid file is a 1 hour presentation with many layers of audio and video.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: File Conversion of Large Files
on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:02:06 am

I usually render everything and export an QuickTime reference. From there I use a third party program as needed for the delivery.

Michael

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:33:18 am

what is a quicktime reference file exactly? i'll try that and see if it works.

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 5:22:06 pm

OK I've tried iskysoft, wondershare, avs, adobe encode and a couple other conversion software and none of them have worked.

There has to be a way to get a movie i created in Avid to the m4v format to be able to play it on a samsung tablet.

help! i need advice!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:49:30 pm

Were you able to export a QuickTime Reference Movie? Form Export option, select QuickTime reference, then "mastering". Export entire sequence and you will have an audio track and a movie file that is only a few Kb in size. For quick encodes, I drop the .mov file (the video one, not the audio) into MPEG Streamsclip and encode from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:04:45 pm

I exported the QT Ref file and it's 800KB instead of 27GB. But when i put it into conversion software it says

The following errors occurred while opening files: QTRefBambi.mov - The specified file contains no video data

What does that mean?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:10:27 pm

Can you open the reference movie in MoviePlayer and play it? If there is no video, check your settings again on export from Media Composer. If the clips are still AMA linked, it will not work. A refernce video references Avid media, so transcode sequence to DNxHD, then export the transcoded sequence as a reference.

Michael

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:01:11 pm

OK when I do the following I get a pop up in Avid that says "Exception: UPDATE_MOVIE_RESOURCE_FAILED". What does that mean and what am I doing wrong?

1) Open Avid
2) Open the project I'm working on
3) Go to File > Export
4) A box opens and says "Export As..." and I choose "Quicktime Reference File" and open Export Settings - QuickTime Reference which says:
Export As: Quick Reference (use marks and use enabled tracks are NOT checked)
Defaults: Digital Mastering
Flatten Video Tracks CHECKED
Fill Spaces with black CHECKED
Render All Video Effect CHECKED
Display Aspect Ratio NATIVE DIMENSIONS
Mixdown Audio Tracks CHECKED
Audio Format AIFF_C
Sample Rate 48 kHz
Bit Depth 16 Bit
Use Network Media References UNCHECKED
Use Avid Codecs UNCHECKED
Color Levels 601/709

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:13:00 pm

Is your sequence DNxHD or AMA linked or some other codec other than DNxHD?

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:30:37 pm

Im not sure. How do I check it to find out?

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:45:42 pm

So here's the thing:

I exported the project as a mov file sucessfully. the movie file plays great in QT player. The file is 27GB.

OK now, so I try to convert that to a m4v file and what happens is the audio is fine but in the beginning of the project it just deletes some of the video. It shows the png files that are laid on the tracks just fine, but the video is not there.

So what do i do with that?

Return to posts index

jasmine raphael
on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:49:03 am

Hi Michael (and anyone else reading this):

I was able to take the 27GB mov file, convert to MP4 with handbrake conversion software then rename the mp4 to m4v, set chapter markers with drax and it worked on the android tablet. With that mov version I did not do a video/audio mixdown and I think I have ama files (still trying to figure out what those are) and I think that’s why the QT reference file didn’t work when converted to mp4 or m4v. So, I’m going to try again from avid but this time I’m going to do a mixdown, then QT ref, then convert to MP4, then rename M4V, then add chapter markers and see if it works. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:17:00 am

Youd know if you had AMA files.
When importing the pictures into AVID youd go
Link to AMA Volume or AMA file.
Ie youve not actually imported ANY video into avid. Avid is merely playing the source files from their stored HD location. You cant do a ref file of ama linked material (yet).

A Quicktime reference does just that. It references the media. it doesnt contain any video or audio, it just tells the system where to find the media to play at any given moment. (and it cant be LONG GOP either.)

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]