FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 7 Installation Problems on MacBook Pro Retina

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Soltz
MC 7 Installation Problems on MacBook Pro Retina
on Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46:53 am

This one seems to have stumped both me and Avid tech support, so hopefully some wisdom might emanate from this forum.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" , 8gb ram, SSD, OS X 10.8.4

I had been running MC 6 without a hitch and yesterday upgraded both a MacPro system as well as attempted to upgrade the MBPro to MC 7.

Upgrade of MacPro was uneventful and everything works.

MacBook Pro - Made certain that MC 6 was deactivated and used uninstaller. Installed MC 7 and installer got all the way to Moving Items Into Place and then installer gave Installation Failed Message.

All the MC 7 files are present. Launching MC7 would first give a segmentation error message and crash. This message would appear, per Avid forum and ReadMe, if Everyone drive permissions were read only. However, I had set drive permissions for Read and Write.

Attempting to run the MC Uninstaller brings up message Nothing To Uninstall.

Avid Tech recommended manual uninstall of MC 7 - removing all Avid file/folders in Applications, Utilities and Library. I also removed preferences.

Despite repeated installations, manual uninstallations, reinstallation of OS X, permission repairs from emergency partition, disk first aid (nothing found wrong with file structure), installation still fails.

After the last couple of reinstallations and reported failures, launching MC 7 now results in Disk_Access_Denied message.

Obviously there is some kind of permissions issue here. But I have installed other software on this disk without any permissions issues.

ProTools is not present on this machine nor has it ever been installed.

Has anyone had success - or issues - with installation on MBPro Retina?

Thanks

Ned Soltz

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: MC 7 Installation Problems on MacBook Pro Retina
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:26:49 pm

[Ned Soltz] "MacBook Pro - Made certain that MC 6 was deactivated and used uninstaller. Installed MC 7 and installer got all the way to Moving Items Into Place and then installer gave Installation Failed Message."

I got a failed message during installation when I realized that my OSX gatekeeper settings weren't set to allow software from "anywhere." Don't know if that's your issue...

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:30:15 pm

Wish it were that simple. Gatekeeper set to allow installation from any source.

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:04:42 pm

Solved!

I ran the MC 7 installer again only checking the Media Composer software installation, unchecking everything else.

Software installed successfully, activated successfully and it runs. So far.

Obviously some kind of weird issue with the start up drive.

Ned

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:07:57 pm

And the answer is...

Apple engineers found some kext's that were conflicting with installers.

After removing those kext's, all software installs normally.

Return to posts index

Georgy Vlasov
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:27:12 pm

Ned, can you explain me how to remove this kext files? I've got the same problem trying to update mc from 6.5 to 7 running on osx 10.8.4 macpro.

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:04:28 pm

The kext files are located in System->Library->Extensions

The difficulty is finding out which files are the culprits.

In my case, it was several kext files installed by Sonnet drivers from various products I had tested/installed. Simply removing everything Sonnet (and no need to restart after removing kext files), solved the problem. One place to start is to look for kext's that could reference old software you haven't used or old drivers/system extensions you might have installed.

Hope this helps!

Ned

Return to posts index

Georgy Vlasov
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:45:34 pm

Thank a lot for your response! By the way i've also got Sonnet USB3.0 controller driver installed on this machine. I'll try to find kext tomorrow&

Gosha

Return to posts index

Ralph J Mole
on Dec 14, 2013 at 6:49:18 pm

Ned:

I would like to acquire a new thunderbolt Macbook Pro and transfer my Avid 6.0
to it upgrading to 7.0.....

Any thoughts or suggestions....it seems like Mountain Lion is the only sanctioned OS X
with MC

rjm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]