FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD Transcode file sizes?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
AVCHD Transcode file sizes?
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:00:56 pm

I am looking into getting Avid MC6., and am editing AVCHD from an NX5U . I assume in Avid you would transcode to DNxHD? What is the difference in file size from the original MTS files? I had to transcode them for an earlier version of Final Cut to AIC, and the size difference was huge.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVCHD Transcode file sizes?
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:55:13 pm

Assuming 23.976 for now, you would most likely transcode to DNxHD 115 which is ~50GB per hour. You could transcode to another LongGOP format that is a native codec to Media Composer in the 50 Mb/s range and that would be a little more than 1/2 additional storage.

Michael

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:20:12 am

Thank you Michael,
I'm not sure I completely understood your response. How much larger (percentage-wise) would the transcoded file be?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:03:49 pm

I thought I would let you do the math... ;)

Assuming 23.976fps at the highest quality rate the camera offers (24 Mb/s), then it is a matter of ratios:

Going to an Avid native LongGop of 50 Mb/s would take up twice the storage.
Going to an Avid NDxHD 115 would be 4.7 times the storage.

I don't know if I would go from one LongGop to another, and would most likely go to DNxHD 115.

Michael

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:41:40 pm

Thanks Michael,
As I recall, that's not as bad as transcoding to AIC, but it's still a lot of space. Guess there's no way around the space increase and buying more drives.
Apparently Adobe can edit AVCHD natively, which might be an option, but I really would like to learn Avid as a skill. So I guess I'll just get Avid and eat the extra space.
What's your experience with this? I'm assuming since you are in the Avid forum, that Avid is your preference?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:05:15 pm

You can certainly AMA directly to the AVCHD media and use that, but it is a pretty processor intensive codec, so your editing experience performance wise may not be the best. If you want to just try editing at a DNxHD codec from these sources, you can always try DNxHD 36, which is only 50% more than your original codec and see how it works out for you. I would not recommend DNxHD 36 for any finishing type work unless it is for compressed streaming type deliverables.

Michael

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Jul 23, 2013 at 5:29:22 am

Thanks Michael,
Will do. Have a great night. =)

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:02:13 am

Same opinion with Michael’s. Now, you can use AMA to the AVCHD media directly. If you still wanna try editing at a DNxHD codec from these sources, you can always try DNxHD 36, which is only half more than your original codec and ensures the efficiency while working AVCHD files with Avid MC. I got some Sony Handycam AVCHD files from PJ780 to Avid, but the AMA can’t help me get the files. I had to get transcode my 60 AVCHD to DNxHD codec for smooth editing in Avid. I got the quick fix from a thread http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=301&f=2171&t=11703984

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]